Roller cam/lifter retro drop in, thoughts?

-

marksmopar1

Reaction score
Hi, I have 440 and 383's and thinking of a retro roller/cam set up. These are suppose to be drop in and go. Are they? Anyone have some experiance this these? It seems with a roller there is less chance of wrecking a cam due to low zink levels in the crap they sell as oil now.
More expence for a roller set up, but does it or is it worth the bother?
Thoughts?:burnout:

I think they are worth it. Rollers bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer than a flat tappet cam.

The price is possibly a problem,a great decision in the long run. Budget, stay flat tappet. Check out MRL Performance, here. He does Mopars only,and a head porter. Those go hand in hand,and cheaper in the long run.

I did a Comp. street solid roller w/Comp's lifters in my 470" after losing a solid flat tappet. Has about 4k mi. on it now with no issues. The lift/duration/centerline numbers between the 2 were very similar but the roller idles smoother and runs MUCH better. Just my experience..your mileage may vary. lol

The price is possibly a problem,a great decision in the long run. Budget, stay flat tappet. Check out MRL Performance, here. He does Mopars only,and a head porter. Those go hand in hand,and cheaper in the long run.

I agree with the above. At least talk to Mike about what you're looking to do.....all your out is a phone call. He sell's a quality "in-house" lifter and he's also one of the best at recommending a cam grind for your specific needs.

I'm about to go the same direction on my 408. I think I've flattened a cam lobe on my solid mechanical, should have went roller in the first place. Will know for sure once the intake is off this weekend.

Rough break down on a race roller set up

Lifters $800-1200
Rockers $1200
Lifters,retainers,locks and springs $$600-1200
Push rods $240 for 7/16
Head work to make cam work $1500 and up
Distributor drive $100

Thanks all...
Good suggestions, but, here is what I was looking at.
This is not going to be a race motor, mild street performer, maybe a little more with the 4 speed. I see these drop in roller lifters now available. No block machining of the lifter bores like the old days. They say, drop them in and go? I want longevity and no hassles with cam issues that seem so prevalent with todays oils. The other option, just go Hydraulic flat tappet cam as normal and use the additive, which can get expensive in the long run. The old pay now...or pay later deal. A roller would be trouble free (hydraulic roller) no oil issues to consider.
Thank

-
Back