roller cam motor

-

wedgie

Reaction score
Can a flat tappet cam and heads be used on a roller cam 318 block?

cant remember but i think you have to use the roller pushrods because top end oiling is different and roller pushrods are hollow and fed by lifters to get oil to top not thru the pedestals

Just get the proper length soid pushrods and all the valve train gear for the swap.

IMO, a backwards move.

Just get the proper length soid pushrods and all the valve train gear for the swap.

IMO, a backwards move.

yep, ive got a '90 roller cam 360 with old style (1979)360 heads, like rob said just make sure to use solid pushrods. i used a regular hydralic cam but i wished i could of afforded to stay with a roller, im still kicking myself but oh well

cant remember but i think you have to use the roller pushrods because top end oiling is different and roller pushrods are hollow and fed by lifters to get oil to top not thru the pedestals

yes if you stay with a roller cam you still have to use roller lifters but if you use regular hydralic you have to use regular hydralic lifters. roller setup oils through the heads down to the cam, regualar hydralic cam gets oiled just by the crank slinging oil

roller setup oils through the heads down to the cam, regualar hydralic cam gets oiled just by the crank slinging oil

No it doesn't, you have it backwards. The oil comes up from the pump to the crank mains, than up to the cam bearings and lifter gallerys. On the Magnum roller cam there are no holes drilled through the cam that would send oil to the head through the head oiling gallery. The casting is there and can be drilled to allow LA style head oiling but a machine shop would be needed as it cannot be done with a hand drill. The Magnum head has oil supplied from the lifter and hollow pushorods which then drains back to the pan from the head.

Both the Magnum and LA cam lobes are splash lubed.

Just thought I would let you know the real deal as knowledge is power. :)

Sounds like a roller block needs roller heads, cam, and lifters.

Just to add more fuel to the fire.
Some early roller LA and Magnums had the oil passage machined for through the head oiling, all you would have to do is use LA cam bearings so the hole is in the bearing. My 94 5.9 Magnum was this way. I ended up using the roller cam, Magnum heads and hollow pushrods so it did not matter.

valentek
69 B5 408 FB

No it doesn't, you have it backwards. The oil comes up from the pump to the crank mains, than up to the cam bearings and lifter gallerys. On the Magnum roller cam there are no holes drilled through the cam that would send oil to the head through the head oiling gallery. The casting is there and can be drilled to allow LA style head oiling but a machine shop would be needed as it cannot be done with a hand drill. The Magnum head has oil supplied from the lifter and hollow pushorods which then drains back to the pan from the head.

sorry but were not taling about magnum engines here were talking about preroller la and roller la. they made roller engines before the magnum

Depends on if the block is drilled for head/shaft oiling.

I have an 89-90 Roller 360 that is going to be shaft oiled. I could have also gone with pushrod oiling with hollow pushrods. Best of both worlds IMHO. Wrong pushrods got ordered, so I'm going to stick with shaft oiling.

If the block is drilled for head oiling, put an LA camshaft in it and your shaft style heads. If not, then a machining process is necessary or go with pushrod oiling and AMC oiler-style flat tappet lifters

sorry but were not taling about magnum engines here were talking about preroller la and roller la. they made roller engines before the magnum

Doesn't matter, no SB Mopar oils from the head down. Nor does any BB Mopar for that matter. Sometimes the gallery was drilled on the early roller blocks as crackedback and Velentek said earlier. We are just politely trying to help wedgie get what he needs. :read2:

Actually, I can't think of any american V-8 or any engine by any manufacturer that doesn't oil the crank and rods first as these parts need oil first and foremost.

so i was right about the pushrods and oiling

so i was right about the pushrods and oiling

Yes, if a magnum head is used. A solid pushrod can be used if an early roller block with the drilled galleries is at hand with an LA head. Just like crackedback mentioned, it's the best of both worlds and I wish I had one, lol!

Can a flat tappet cam and heads be used on a roller cam 318 block?
You can use the Magnum style heads on the old LA block but not vise-versa. Reason being the LA heads oil thru passages in the block that sends oil to the rocker shafts where the Magnum oils thru the pushrods. There are no passages in the magnum style block. A machine shop can drill them but its expensive and the engine has to ba apart.

Larry

could ya run both systems on these blocks and a high volume pump and stay real wet

could ya run both systems on these blocks and a high volume pump and stay real wet

I haven't seen hollow cup and ball pushrods yet for an adjustable LA style valvetrain, but I suppose it could be done. No real advantage to it though.... I'd prefer to keep the oil down in the crank and rods. :)

I haven't seen hollow cup and ball pushrods yet for an adjustable LA style valvetrain, but I suppose it could be done. No real advantage to it though.... I'd prefer to keep the oil down in the crank and rods. :)

When I was looking for Pushrods, I couldn't find an off the shelf oiler for adjustable LA style.

Manton or Smith Bros. will build them for you.

another option for the pushrods for an LA is to get the rocker arms from comp cams as they use ball and ball pushrods. i have a late LA roller block, 302 heads, and a flat tappet cam using hollow 7.50 pushrods. although i too wish i had just put a roller cam in.

Doesn't matter, no SB Mopar oils from the head down. Nor does any BB Mopar for that matter. Sometimes the gallery was drilled on the early roller blocks as crackedback and Velentek said earlier. We are just politely trying to help wedgie get what he needs. :read2:

yes, i had it backwards for some odd reason in my head, but then if wedies block is assuming an early roller LA with the gallery drilled in already. then you can use old style heads and cam, solid pushrods....ect.

do you know what year your roller block is wedie?

if its a 90 LA roller block then i know for sure that it has gallery drilled already

-
Back