Roller cam / pushrods?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
A question I thought would never come up

Recently fell into a roller LA 360 .030 shortblock!!! So questions................

Would like to keep adjustable 273 rockers

Am leaning towards keeping the roller lifters as opposed to flat tappets

So...................

This is a rebuilt shortblock, so probably just average 'replacement' lifters. Do we think these lifters are good enough for a cam "about like" the old 340 cam, IE shifted around 5K this is a street engine

Or should I upgrade the lifters, which is not cheap.

If so, what do I need on the lifter end for pushrod balls? I'll obviously need cups to fit the 273 rockers. Can you use the "normal" style LA pushrod ends or are the rollers different?

Stock lifters should be just fine just get your ball/cup Pushrod a little thicker and upgraded lock nuts for your rockers.

Those lifters will run 7K with good valvetrain.

Get ball/cup PR and you're good to go.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be callin Oregon cam in a day or two. I'm thinking whatever is their closest grind to the Comp X268H?

Is it a Magnum 360? with factory hyd. roller lifters or LA engine with soild rollers?
Magnum oils through the push rod and use a ball-stud rocker
Soild LA engine oils through the shafts from the cam

This is exactly what I said it is in my first post. It's a late model LA 360 with factory roller lifters, AKA "roller block" These have the roller retainer cage in the valley, and block oil holes to the deck / heads.

I'm sure I'll have to fiddle with PR length, my main concern is that they don't use a different lower ball on the PR for the lifter.

A belated tip, as from personal experience I have learned. With the LA roller blocks if you are not running LA roller heads, but pre roller heads (stock or for example Edelbrock), you will probably encounter problems with pushrod clearance through the heads, due to changed pushrod geometry and the earlier heads having smaller .50 inch pushrod holes as opposed to larger .66 inch holes in the LA roller heads. Below is a link to an informative article on the topic. I am currently about to embark on the process of pulling the Eddy heads off my 1990 roller 360 to clearance the pushrod holes for that reason.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/LA-V8-engine-head-swaps.html

We just built a pre magnum 91 360 roller lifter engine. We used a Hughes 1928 cam with stock valve train and heads. Everything fit together fine for us.

-
Back