Roller Cams question

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have looked all over the net for this and can't find any info.

What is the difference between a hydraulic roller and a solid roller? Can they be inter-changed? Use solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam or vice-versa?

Just trying to get my head around these things.

Jack

Good link, lots of info there. Still couldn't find the answer to my question though.

Which is, can you use solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam or vice versa?

Jack

In one of my conversations with Tim he told me that he has used mechanical rollers on cam meant for hydraulics.....

The short answer is no, you can not mix and match as the profiles are going to be different as is the material they are made from. Why would you want to anyway?

The short answer is no, you can not mix and match as the profiles are going to be different as is the material they are made from. Why would you want to anyway?
I can take a guess. He wants to drop some roller lifters in but not swap the Cam out.

One is solid the other has a hydraulic mechanism in it. Just like flat tappet solid and hydraulic lifters.

You can put a solid roller on a hyd roller cam. Been done before. The roller wheels are made from the same basic materials. The hyd roller cam may not have the right ramps for taking up lash, but, it has been done.

I can take a guess. He wants to drop some roller lifters in but not swap the Cam out.

Nope, just curious as to what the differences are. The ramp speed makes sense as the hydraulics would have a cushion effect whereas the solids would not.

Like I said, it is something I don't know, but want to know. I like to know how things work before I decide what I'm doing.

It seems to me that a roller lifter would work on any flat tappet cam as the ramp speeds are not near as severe on flat tappet cams. That is as long as the base circle and lift were not to high.

Jack

You can run a solid lifter on a hydraulic cam, no problem at all. You generally run a very tight lash, .004-.006". This goes for roller or flat tappet.

It is not recommended to run a hydraulic lifter of any kind on a solid cam profile unless you have Limited travel hydraulic lifters. These run very little pre-load if any, maybe .002-.004".

................U cannot run roller lifters of any sort on a flat tappet cam..the ramps are totally different......there have been ppl running hydro on solid and vice versa but they are compromizing performance and durability.....weather it be flat tappet or roller......kim

I'll add to MRL's - You cannot run any type of roller lifter on a flat tappet cam. This is because there is no taper on a roller cam lobe, and the cam blanks are softer than the wheels and they will tear the lobes up.

Obviously the only way to be completely safe is to run the cam the lifters were designed for. I'm just a curious type person and try experiments often. Some turn out good and others are complete disasters. LOL

Jack

I'm just a curious type person and try experiments often. Some turn out good and others are complete disasters. LOL

Jack

Me too - Guess how I know it won't work :)...lol It only cost me a 340 back in my teens...lol.

I was referring to flat on flat or roller on roller. Never run a flat on a roller or a roller on a flat, thats not going to work.

-
Back