Roller LA 360 with magnum cam???

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
Hey guys I now this was asked already but I cant find the thread. I have a 1989 LA roller cam 360 motor. I have found a magnum roller cam that I like but I know they dont have the provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. Can I just run an electric fuel pump to solve the problem, or are there other issues I do not know about???

Short answer: Yes to the electric fuel pump...I can't speak to whether or not the bolt/washer are the same between the two engines though. When I took my 5.2 apart, I knew I'd have to use a snout extender, so I probably just tossed the original.

On the fuel pump,two ways. 1,run a electric pump.2,if you want mechanical,Hughes sells an adapter eccentric and bolt.This is what I used,it works well. If you are going new cam,call the supplier and ask them if it will work in your LA 360.If not,make sure to ask them to grind one with a correct core.If you have a good core,they can regrind it for about 1/2 the price of a new one.Price differences are 150 to 200 for a regrind,300 to 400 for a new one.If you opt for a regrind,give Bullitt cams a call.They have several recommendations from this site.Hope this helps,good luck.

Do you plan to use the shaft oiling or go with pushrod oiling and Mag rockers?

If you go shaft oiling, you'll need to either get a cam core with the LA holes in #2 and 4 cam journals or cut grooves to oil the shafts in the same journals.

On the fuel pump,two ways. 1,run a electric pump.2,if you want mechanical,Hughes sells an adapter eccentric and bolt.This is what I used,it works well. If you are going new cam,call the supplier and ask them if it will work in your LA 360.If not,make sure to ask them to grind one with a correct core.If you have a good core,they can regrind it for about 1/2 the price of a new one.Price differences are 150 to 200 for a regrind,300 to 400 for a new one.If you opt for a regrind,give Bullitt cams a call.They have several recommendations from this site.Hope this helps,good luck.

I have a cam at Bullet now from a 90 roller 360. I just talked to Rich yesterday and should have the cam back in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it turned out. Remember, they will be limited on lift and duration by the old cam cut. This should be thought of as a mild street motor. I think the total lift will be .430 with a 1.5 rocker. I'm thinking about 1.6 rockers, the guy at the machine shop was talking about setting up the heads for them.

I just want to clarify, the LA and magnum cams have different oiling needs, so it would be necessary to modify my oiling system to accomodate the magnum cam?

I just want to clarify, the LA and magnum cams have different oiling needs, so it would be necessary to modify my oiling system to accomodate the magnum cam?

it would be easlier just to get the cam journals grooved while it was being reground....

Hughes engines makes cams for the hydraulic roller cam for mechanical or electric fuel pump. They also make a nose extender kit to allow you to run an electric fuel pump cam with a mechanical pump. My son and I are building a 91 360 - the last year before they went "magnum".

-
Back