Roller lifter min valve spring PSI

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
What is the minimum compressed valve spring spec for use with roller lifters? I want to run a roller on the street but want the lifters to last. .600" lift , max 7000 RPM

My Solid Roller has .634 Lift [email protected], Spring Pressures are around 160lbs Closed and 510lbs open.

That spring seems a bit light for the lift???? I run a .636 lift with 278 / 286 of duration @ 0.05” and the cam manufacturer wants a minimum of 230-240 seat with 650 open. I actually run about 285 seat and 660 open.

That spring seems a bit light for the lift???? I run a .636 lift with 278 / 286 of duration @ 0.05” and the cam manufacturer wants a minimum of 230-240 seat with 650 open. I actually run about 285 seat and 660 open.

Brian at IMM Engines set the whole package up. I might be wrong on the pressure. Gunna check the build card and report back.

It depends on the cam. Hydraulic rollers don't require as much spring pressure as solid rollers. Even if it's a solid roller you can get lifters that have oil slots or holes to feed oil to the roller wheel so it lasts a long life.

You need to ask your cam manufacturer that question. We can't tell you what your cam needs.

I run a Lunati solid roller and when I called their tech the fellow told me not to go by what was on the cam card. He described the spring pressure data on the card as the bare bones minimum but they would actually like to see more pressure. My card showed 210 and 556 pounds at 1.95" installed height but the tech people said that they actually want a minumum of 230 and 650... Personally I think they should put the range on the cards if that's the case. I bet a lot of people go by that data and run springs a bit lower in pressure thinking the card info gives the ideal pressures.

I run a Lunati solid roller and when I called their tech the fellow told me not to go by what was on the cam card. He described the spring pressure data on the card as the bare bones minimum but they would actually like to see more pressure. My card showed 210 and 556 pounds at 1.95" installed height but the tech people said that they actually want a minumum of 230 and 650... Personally I think they should put the range on the cards if that's the case. I bet a lot of people go by that data and run springs a bit lower in pressure thinking the card info gives the ideal pressures.

Ya, I'd have been someone assuming my cam card is giving valuable info,,,wtf. Maybe I should call about what to "ideally" degree it at as well. Grrr

Different manufacturers want different stuff too. Also - on the wearing issue - It's more a function of the lobe shape than spring pressures that wear things out fast. A street roller is much easier on valve train than std rollers.

Lunati will sometimes give you 2 spring choices, one will be a little lighter and one will be a little heavier. The lighter spring is generally considered a "Street" spring, the other is a "Race" spring.

-
Back