Roller Lifter Options for 59 deg R1 Block

-
By far the best roller lifters i have used are the crane ultra pro’s. Had several sets of them, but in production blocks or X blocks( which are identical to production block up top)
Not sure if bars would clear using them on R blocks. But if they would, no brainer.
I had one set of them i ran 5 years street and strip and at freshen up Best Machine said they still looked great. Nice pieces
Other set i believe still being used currently

Are you running the stock oiling system and lifter bores? or did you do some mods to the block?

I posted about the ultra pros as well. In both cases i ran them my lifter bores were bushed and i pushrod oiled.
I ran production block and an X block. Stock oiling system.I Used Precision tweeked oil pumps. They do a nice job blueprinting Melling pumps

Just to clarify, you ran the Crane Ultra pro rollers in a Mopar stock block with shaft oiling - no issues. Correct?

Just to clarify, you ran the Crane Ultra pro rollers in a Mopar stock block with shaft oiling - no issues. Correct?

I have. I have never run pushrod oiling in my personal stuff. As a rule, as long as the wheel is .810 or bigger it should be a good lifter. Why after all these years Chrysler guys will buy junk that was slapped together with Chevrolet spec'd parts is beyond my ability to understand.

How bad out of spec are the lifters bores in a run of the mill '77 360?

x2 yellow rose .810 roller or the largest you can fit in your lifter bore small chevy size rollers really hinder your cam designer (as does the stock chrysler base circle- run a larger tunnel if you can)

You'd have to dial bore guage them, but they will almost always leak a lot more than if you bush them...
Kind of wondering about the accuracy of the machining. I have heard stories about how Petty Enterprises actually cut out the lifter valleys in their Cup motors and repositioned them to 1) get rid of the 59 degree lifter angle and 2) get them all in line and on the same angle.

I would imagine the shops that have the tooling to bush the lifters would be able to get them all in line and installed properly.

Most are 8.10 or 8.15
Jessel has 8.20
the .937 keyway lifters may have .850
the 1 inch plus lifters have .900 +

Kind of wondering about the accuracy of the machining. I have heard stories about how Petty Enterprises actually cut out the lifter valleys in their Cup motors and repositioned them to 1) get rid of the 59 degree lifter angle and 2) get them all in line and on the same angle.

I would imagine the shops that have the tooling to bush the lifters would be able to get them all in line and installed properly.

This will not set well with some...but I have seen machine work performed on blocks by a CNC operated by a fairly well known place here in Ca. that was pure $hit! Just because it's on a CNC doesn't mean squat. You have to choose someone who knows how to machine what you want done. Having said that, if done properly, yes the lifters will be where the factory blueprints say they should be. You'll need to supply the lifters you plan on using so they can be measured to fit the bushings being installed. Less leak, possibly better or more accurate cam timing due to proper lifter placement, which can help the lifters (both flat tappet and roller) live longer.

This will not set well with some...but I have seen machine work performed on blocks by a CNC operated by a fairly well known place here in Ca. that was pure $hit! Just because it's on a CNC doesn't mean squat. You have to choose someone who knows how to machine what you want done. Having said that, if done properly, yes the lifters will be where the factory blueprints say they should be. You'll need to supply the lifters you plan on using so they can be measured to fit the bushings being installed. Less leak, possibly better or more accurate cam timing due to proper lifter placement, which can help the lifters (both flat tappet and roller) live longer.

Somehow CNC came to mean perfect but it's far from it. You can make junk much faster with a CNC just like you can make good parts faster with a CNC. You still have to know what you are doing.

-
Back