roller rocker to valve stem off center

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
Pics below show my 360's 2 worst off center roller tips. Others dont seem as off.
Heads are rhs
rockers are prw 1.6
My question is:
1. does this warrant repair?
2. does this affect my rpm capabilities?
3. Max rpm w this condition?
Thnx.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-21-22-41-48.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 361
  • Screenshot_2014-06-21-22-40-16.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 336
Remove rockers stand a straight edge on valve keepers.This is to check valve alinement.If ok call PRW for to new rockers.If all rockers where the same you could shim shaft:eek:ops:

Are these pics with the spring compressed or fully un-compressed? If un-compressed, then look at them each when their respective spring is compressed; the contact point will move as the rocker changes its angle; look at the total range of contact point movement.

Not sure I agree with the comment on the guide wear; one of the points of rollers is to eleimate the side force component on the guides.

I have 1.6 PRW's on mine and the geometry is spot on.

What is your installed valve height?
What heads are those?

Looks like shimming the shafts up would do you some good in your situation.

Those prev pics were w valves partially open. See pics below of same rockers w valves closed. They appear closer to center of stem.
Im hesitant to remove rockers as ive paid engine shop to assemble once already.
Heads are rhs. Purchased heads, rockers, cam-lifters from brian at imm. Wish he was closer I would gladly have used his service.
THANKS for all the responses. Getting alot better response on this forum...my traction issues on suspension forum seems to be not up their alley.
Appreciate the help.
Darrell

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-22-15-48-54.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot_2014-06-22-15-48-48.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot_2014-06-22-16-09-55.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_2014-06-22-16-09-22.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 264
Its the RHS heads with the wrong valves. The Valves are to short. They have the Magnum style valves in them which are shorter than the LA style. You need to run a lash cap or get .100" longer valves.

Its the RHS heads with wrong valves. The Valves are to short. They have the Magnum style valves in them which are shorter than the LA style. You need to run a lash cap or get .100" longer valves.

Mike, did you see the second pics of same 2 rockers w valves closed. They appear closer to center.
You sound confident my valves are too short.
If lash caps are to be used to fix issue, should it be done with heads left on or pull the heads?
Thanks,
Darrell

[nm9stheham;1970479501]Are these pics with the spring compressed or fully un-compressed? If un-compressed, then look at them each when their respective spring is compressed; the contact point will move as the rocker changes its angle; look at the total range of contact point movement.

Not sure I agree with the comment on the guide wear; one of the points of rollers is to eleimate the side force component on the guides.[/QUOTE]

nm9stheham, the first pics were w valves partially open. Just not sure if thats too close to edge w valve open.
MRL Performance member, mike, has identified issue to be valves too short.
Does anyone have pic of where their roller tip lyes ontop of valve stem with valve closed?
Again, here is pic w my roller w valve closed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-22-15-48-54.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 187
You need to call Brian and tell him what's going on. He set them up so he should have the remedy.

I've bought 3 sets of RHS heads from him 2 with beehives and 1 with solid roller spring set up. All 3 sets were spot on with Geometry. I've used Hughes 1.6's and PRW's with xlnt results.

You need to call Brian and tell him what's going on. He set them up so he should have the remedy.

I've bought 3 sets of RHS heads from him 2 with beehives and 1 with solid roller spring set up. All 3 sets were spot on with Geometry. I've used Hughes 1.6's and PRW's with xlnt results.

I will call him in the am. Im confident he will know what to do.
thnx mad dart.

they ALL should be in the same place, good or bad they should ALL be the same !!!
^ This. Have you confirmed that with all the valves closed, all the rockers are in the same position on the valve tips?

Because if some are further away than others, then that indicates you may have a bad batch of rockers with different ratios. Hughes had a similar problem with their rockers a few years back after a bad batch was mixed in and some of their sets had different measured rocker ratios.

Once you've confirmed the rockers are all good, then you only need to change the valve locks to the lash-type, add the lash caps, and that should fix it. You don't need to remove the heads and you don't even need to remove the springs and retainers - just the locks.

-
Back