Roller Rockers hitting

-

kbmadness

Reaction score
I have a 340 stroked to a 416, with a Procharger supercharger. I have been having over heating issues. I thought that I might have a head gasket problem, so I dismantled the heads. I found a broken pull rod and my roller rockers on the driver side are hitting the valve springs. Most of the rockers have deep groves rubbed into them. The passenger side has very minimal ware if any. The motor has less than 750 miles on the complete rebuild. The guy who built the motor says that it's the bad rockers and the valve guide wore, causing the valves to rub the rockers. I think that he is full of s%&t!!! He didn't set them up right. Let me know if any of you have very encounter this before. thanks, Joe

What brand rockers are you using? I've used Crane Golds with no problem. Rocker arm geometry is not a slam dunk on these engines and they do require proper set up.

Can you post pics? Pics are worth a thousand words.

hughes engines makes saddles you can put under the rocker shaftto raise them up to get needed clearance, give them a call and they can help, i had a set one time i took a small grinder to and ground just enough off the rocker to get the needed clearance, that was about6 to 7 years ago and just took the rockers off last month and they were still fine they were just starting to get slack in the rollers a little, enough to make adjusting a pain in the but. good luck

I had a problem on mine hitting the spring retainers because the spring retainers were bigger dia. than the stock ones. I could have ground some off the rocker but I had a set of smaller dia retainers I put on and everything cleared. I found retainers over 1.5" o.d. hit. The other set I had were comp cams and were only 1.450 diameter so they cleared.

I had a problem on mine hitting the spring retainers because the spring retainers were bigger dia. than the stock ones. I could have ground some off the rocker but I had a set of smaller dia retainers I put on and everything cleared. I found retainers over 1.5" o.d. hit. The other set I had were comp cams and were only 1.450 diameter so they cleared.

Thanks Guys for your input, I will try these and see if this corrects the problem. Joe

-
Back