Rolling Feeling

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am not sure how to totally describe this but while driving at a constant highway speed I noticed a rolling feeling in the gas pedal and seat of my pants. It is a slight vibration that feels like a wave through the seat of my pants and gas pedal. Anybody have any idea what in the suspension may cause this? Is it maybe my drive shaft?

I asked the same question after I put the cragars on the front of my 65. With the wheels I had on before this it was fine. Now I have the same thing , nothing rubbing. I am starting to think wheel bearings with the heavier wheels, diff back space? who knows.

You know now that I think of it my Dart does some strange thing at around 65 on some road surfaces. Will be driving along and then hit a section that is paved different and it is fine again. Just thought it was the Fed up roads around here but am not sure.

There is all kinds of different things that could cause vibrations. The best advice I can suggest is process of elimination. I would make sure it isnt the engine causing the vibration by eliminating the drive train. Simply put it in Park or Neutral and rev the motor until it gets to the RPM that the vibration occurs while going down the road. Then you can check the drive train by setting the rear of the car on jack stands, crank the engine, foot on the brake, and put in in gear, let your foot off the brake slowly. I had a ticking noise under my truck and just couldnt find it going down the road. I did the above and crawled under the truck with the drive train in gear. I went right to the noise which was in the rear end. The carrier had failed and I had to replace it. Now the above described will not do any kind of diagnostics to the front end, or wheels.

Another way is get up to speed until you feel the vibration and shut the engine off. You might get a better idea what is causing the vibration.

There is all kinds of different things that could cause vibrations. The best advice I can suggest is process of elimination. I would make sure it isnt the engine causing the vibration by eliminating the drive train. Simply put it in Park or Neutral and rev the motor until it gets to the RPM that the vibration occurs while going down the road. Then you can check the drive train by setting the rear of the car on jack stands, crank the engine, foot on the brake, and put in in gear, let your foot off the brake slowly. I had a ticking noise under my truck and just couldnt find it going down the road. I did the above and crawled under the truck with the drive train in gear. I went right to the noise which was in the rear end. The carrier had failed and I had to replace it. Now the above described will not do any kind of diagnostics to the front end, or wheels.

Another way is get up to speed until you feel the vibration and shut the engine off. You might get a better idea what is causing the vibration.
X2. Harmonic vibrations can be hard to find as the noise can travel around the car and seem to be one thing when actually it's something else. Things to check that are a common cause for vibrations.....engine/transmission mounts, exhaust systems that are mounted too rigidly or hitting something, U-joints, axle bearings, tires, E-brake cables, and internal engine balance problems. Good Luck in your hunt!

-
Back