Roof rail chrome trim IS loose fitting

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
I noticed today that the chrome (stainless) roof rail trim is loose fitting on the 71 Dart. The car came from the factory with a vinyl top but that was removed during the repaint. Is there a way to "crimp" the trim so that it is not so loose without denting the trim?

Anyone installed the roof rail trim lately? How did you secure it? Should there be any sealer to hold the trim in place or do you try to crimp it to where it is tighter?

I would try tapping it with a rubber mallet, try to fold it in a bit. I had the same problem with my 71.

I think any owner could go out to there car and find areas where that trim will move a little, even if it has never been off the car. It might spread when installed over a vynil top but that stainless is some tough stuff. The same parts were used with and without vynil top. I wont argue that too loose is too loose though. I think the way to tighten it up would be to dimple the hidden lip in a few spots but I would peel it back off the car first. Use wooden work surfaces and towels to protect the shown surfaces and peck a slight tooth indention at 16 inch spacing or 3 or 4 per side. A 1/4 to 1/2 inch long tooth will work better than a center punch mark for sure.

I think any owner could go out to there car and find areas where that trim will move a little

The trim is loose enough that using a polish rag to polish the trim, the moulding comes of the drip rail. That is a little looser than I think it should be!

-
Back