Roof Rail Seal

-

Frnknsteen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Picked up some new seals and a new hood insulation panel for my Barracuda at the nationals last weekend. I've got the cowl to hood seal and the radiator to hood seal installed just fine.

I installed new roof rail seals and I'm wondering if I have them in there correctly and how the window is supposed to sit on the seal. When the window is up and I close the door, the window hits the outer part of the seal and holds the window out some. You can see a gap between the door window and the quarter window.

When I close the door with the window down, then roll it up, the gap goes away and the window tries to go under the lip. I figured that is how it is supposed to sit, so I closed the door and reached through the vent window to roll it up the rest of the way while pulling the lip over the glass.

Wondering if this is how it should sit (in pics below) and if they will eventually take a set like this so the glass pops under when the door is closed with the windows up?

0813181736.jpg

0813181736a.jpg

It is not right. You have your answer I guess. In no way should you have to roll the windows down to open and close the door. Either they aren’t installed on the correct side left to right or your door windows are adjusted to high? When you roll the quarters up and down what happens? Not sure but it is not normal!

Maybe the upper stops were adjusted up to compensate for old seals and now need to be re-adjusted.

Last edited:
It is not right. You have your answer I guess. In no way should you have to roll the windows down to open and close the door. Either they aren’t installed on the correct side left to right or your door windows are adjusted to high? When you roll the quarters up and down what happens? Not sure but it is not normal!

Maybe the upper stops were adjusted up to compensate for old seals and now need to be re-adjusted.

Thanks for the reply. I believe they are installed on the right sides, because I looked at my old ones (even though they were shot), before I took them out, plus in the roof rail, there is a bigger notch in the inner part and a smaller notch in the outer side. The seals set right into place and just had to roll the outer edge under the trim.

I understand I shouldn't have to roll down the window to open it or close it. I guess what I was asking is where the glass was supposed to sit, meaning over the flap of the seal or under like in my pictures. You don't have to roll the window down to open it or close it. The window just doesn't want to slip under the lip of the seal (if that's where it is supposed to be) when closed with the window up.

The quarter windows want to go under the lip of the seal, like in the pictures, but catches on the lip as they go up and rolls it in and squishes it. The door window comes to a stop almost level with the top of the vent window frame and it level with the quarter window when both are up, so I assume they are all adjusted properly.

FYI,... The seals are Metro Super Soft Seals. Are the Steele brand Roof Rail Seals a better fit?

Hi Guys,

Picked up some new seals and a new hood insulation panel for my Barracuda at the nationals last weekend. I've got the cowl to hood seal and the radiator to hood seal installed just fine.

I installed new roof rail seals and I'm wondering if I have them in there correctly and how the window is supposed to sit on the seal. When the window is up and I close the door, the window hits the outer part of the seal and holds the window out some. You can see a gap between the door window and the quarter window.

When I close the door with the window down, then roll it up, the gap goes away and the window tries to go under the lip. I figured that is how it is supposed to sit, so I closed the door and reached through the vent window to roll it up the rest of the way while pulling the lip over the glass.

Wondering if this is how it should sit (in pics below) and if they will eventually take a set like this so the glass pops under when the door is closed with the windows up?

View attachment 1715210394

View attachment 1715210395
I was recently going thru this w my 70 340 Swinger. I purchased the metro seals also. I spent two days adjusting and fiddling with the glass adjustments. Luckily my originals were still in great shape. Put originals back in and instant success. I don't know if the Steele seals will work but I know the Metros don't on my car!

-
Back