Roof seam question

-

shadango

Reaction score
So whats up with the roof seam on the Dusters?

A bunch of the cars I have looked at so far have had vinyl roofs and the seams seem to be very noticeable under the vinyl....is that just a given with these cars?

The ones I saw in the old days had no discernable seam under the vinyl. Could it be rust forming along the seam?

Vinyl top cars got bondo in the roof seams and not lead like the non vinyl cars. What you are seeing is the deterioration of the bondo.

The whole purpose of a vynil top was to hide the less than perfect filler at the seams. It didn't always get reworked before a new top was glued on either. It should though. The glue will pull the vynil down tight to any imperfection in time, just like vynil glued on a floor.

But is it an ISSUE to avoid or just "one of those things" ?

I saw one Duster for sale online where the seam was just all eaten out....

If its just lumpy bondo under the vinyl thats one thing...but if the roof is going to be toast in short order due to it, thats another issue.

I guess that it would be just like doing any other seam if one were to convert a vinyl roof to a hard top roof?

(BTW, thanks to all for the patience in answering my (most likely) very newbie-like questions....its a learning experience I am really enjoying!)

" Most " of the time the rust issues will not be on the seam but around the front and rear glass, and along the trim ...... Make sure when looking to feel and push around the glass edge to look for any bubbles.... if its not to bad it can be fixed pretty easily.... But if its like mine you better run from it...... The seams if not rusted are a pretty easy fix.... You can also add a padded top to hide some of that seam if its not perfect....

" Most " of the time the rust issues will not be on the seam but around the front and rear glass, and along the trim ...... Make sure when looking to feel and push around the glass edge to look for any bubbles.... if its not to bad it can be fixed pretty easily.... But if its like mine you better run from it...... The seams if not rusted are a pretty easy fix.... You can also add a padded top to hide some of that seam if its not perfect....

I suppose bubbles like that could mean holes which could mean water leaks whic could mean holes elsewhere due to the leaks, right?

This is what you dont want !!!!
100_1781.jpg

100_1779.jpg

My '73 Duster has that problem. It had a vinyl top and it was taken off. The bondo is starting to chip off and etc right at the seam. Everywhere else is fine though. Now I need to fix it right.

This is what you dont want !!!!
100_1781.jpg

100_1779.jpg

Yeah, that looks hairy.

LOL My 10 year old, who REALLY wants us to find a car, saw a car with issues like this and said "Dad, WE CAN FIX THAT!......

I wish I shared in his intense optimism. LOL

My '73 Duster has that problem. It had a vinyl top and it was taken off. The bondo is starting to chip off and etc right at the seam. Everywhere else is fine though. Now I need to fix it right.

What with all the flexing etc that I am sure the roof sees, would you have to lead it to do it really right?

Notice in the pic of the Duster you where looking at earlier..... It may just be the pic but it looks like some bubbling along that front windshield..... That could be bad...... Any rust around the trim on top of the roof would be pretty easy to fix.......
targatop.jpg

Most likely any car this age is going to have some rust somewhere ..... So just get ready to do some repairs..... If I can do it anybody can ....

The factory was even sloppy with the lead on non-vinyl top cars.

You don't have to use lead to repair it. Remove the old filler. Optionally, weld the seam solid. Fill with "USC All-Metal" filler or similar. Finish as necessary.

The factory was even sloppy with the lead on non-vinyl top cars.

You don't have to use lead to repair it. Remove the old filler. Optionally, weld the seam solid. Fill with "USC All-Metal" filler or similar. Finish as necessary.

Correct. Waviness doesn't mean there's rust, that's just the way they were 'finished'. If it has rust there will be hard lumps under the vinyl. It's generally not too hard to fix unless it's as bad as the pics above. If the metal is just pitted you can clean it with a wire brush, seal it with a rust neutralizer or something like POR-15, then fill with an all-metal filler as 70Duster440 recommended.
Dallas

-
Back