roof skin replacement

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
So im moving forward on my project of my 72 dart, picked up a donor roof at the spring fling, just wanted to get a few tips from the pros, i picked up some spot weld cutters with the centering pin. I've already encountered a few areas on the drip rail that i can't fit the 3/8 spot weld cutter into, what other methods do you guys use to get rid of the spot welds. any techniques to do this job would be appreciated.

Air chisel with spot weld cutting bit works great for those hard to reach areas.

sjdiscounttools_2153_397287606

cut-off wheel or grinder

What he said. You can get the cut off wheels themselves in different thicknesses, wider ones for grinding the spot weld, thinner ones for actual cutting. Could also source spot weld cutting bits that are without the centering pin. They are more of a traditional drillbit appearace and seem to not only last longer, but do the same job. For the actual rough cut the roof skin off, do urself a favor and use an airhammer (if available) with that chisel bit shown above. Saves alot of time and i think its easier to work with the small pieces of metal left at the pinchweld than having the entire roof to remove after its all drilled out. Personal opinion tho.

-
Back