rotiserri made from engine stands?

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
i saw some were that a guy put a car on 2 engine stands,like a rotisseri.I can remeber if it were here on fabo or were.Does any one here know anything about this,tried it,or know anybody who has?

Make sure it's rock solid stable.

IMHO, the spread on the wheels of an engine stand would be sketchy at best to support a body. The base needs to be much wider. The end tubes on most rotisseries is about 4' plus in length, wider the better. The two center legs are usually tied together with a lock rod.

Saw a Nova fall off an engine stand rotisserie on it's side...............hammered the car

I would need to be very sure it was stable before flipping the car and being near it, especially when it is built w/ $50 engine stands. Lots of homemade ones pic'd on the internet that look solid

but im not a redneck :) not into 4x4s and whatnot. i like the country cuz you can go out in the garage and wrench on your cars and make all the noise you want fabbin stuff and dont have to worry bout people complainin bout the noise, and you aint got all your nieghbors starin at you whenever your outside lol. much more peaceful

Im a redneck,been one since birth,and proud of it.I was born in the sticks of nc,were there was nothing but trees,or fields until was in my teens,now my home town is full of yankees,mexicans,westerners,and everything in between.Please dont be offended by what i just said,i like everyone,as long as they dont steal from me.In fact,my best freind is a yankee westerner(as he calls himself,lol)and he says we know how to get things done around here with no money.Any ways,i know im a redneck,but im also a perfectionists,and have restored,restified,modified,etc,etc,many a show winning car,but never one for myself.I want to make some kind of cheap priced rotiserri set up,that is just high enough off the ground to roll an abody on its side.I have quite a selection of 4 inch,by 4 inch,by 1/4 inch angle iron,some 8 foot pieces of 3 inch,by 1/4 inch channel iron.So if there is an engine stand set up that works,i have plenty of metal to reinforce them to hold up a mack truck.As far as the leggs not being wide enough apart,why can i use some square tubing,the next size larger to slide over the existing leggs,and wel them on,move the wheels farther out?The engine stands ive found,are like the summit heavy duty ones,that say they hold 1500 pounds.A stripped out a body wont weigh 3000 pounds,im sure.

The best balanced units for sale that I've seen are called "whirlyjig"......you should look close and weld that thing up yourself...........Probably no problem for ya'.............. 8)

I'd say if you can weld like an iron worker then build your own, but in the long run time is money and if there's going to be that much spent on resto job then spend the safe $ on a good rotisserie. It's like a foundation for a house, the foundation is first!

I'm pretty sure there's a Foxworthy joke "If you chat about old cars on a forum...you might be a redneck". God bless America & Rednecks!

-
Back