rotisserie plans and pics

-

cuda67bnl

Reaction score
I'm thinking again about making myself a rotisserie for the notch. Can anyone post pics of theirs with dimensions? I want to make mine with inflated tires on it so that I can roll the car out in the yard. Has anyone made one with rubber tires on it? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I am 90% done with my rotisserie.
First one I have ever built and it has came along super nice.
I used different ideas from designs I found online and the AutoTwirler my mom has. If you are building one yourself I would suggest the link below.

http://www.mts.net/~hpokrant/Restoration_Tips/1-Rotisserie/Rotisserie.htm

I made several modifications to accommodate the use of long ram jacks on either end where I can have more height options. - and my gussets are a little different...
I am using Northern Industrial 450-Lb. Capacity 10in. Pneumatic Casters—Swivel on all sides.
I plan to post pics upon completion.

PS: The plans / images listed on the link have some discrepancies - so do your own homework to make sure yours is right.

Good Luck and if you need anything like better drawings let me know.

Casey Davis

Thanks, guys.

Casey, I'd love to see pics of yours, especially the jacking mechanism. That's the part that has me wondering the most.

I am making a similar one. My question is do you guys find that you need to brace the unibody on an a body so it doesn't twist when it is up in the air?

Thanks,

Dorian

Dorian,
My Duster is now on the rotisserie, no problems with body distortion. Once all the front end and rear axle is off you don't have much weight. My 17 year old daughter (100#) was able to lift the front up off the sawhorses we had it setting on!

cuda67bnl, where in Georgia are you? If you are close enough you can come look and take measurements of ours.
C

DCP_2149.jpg

I am making a similar one. My question is do you guys find that you need to brace the unibody on an a body so it doesn't twist when it is up in the air?

Thanks,

Dorian

I think it would be best to remove the doors and install braces across the door jambs. Up in the air or how high isn't the issue. The problem is having the weight on the farest ends of the frame horns and then turning the body first one way then the other. Combine that with how long it might remain in an un natural position and it can't be good.
I may never get my convertible restored but I wont start by building my own equipment. My plan is to purchase a rotissirie and frame ties from U S Cartool. Here why... Imagine an ebay add that reads "U S Cartools Rotissirie, model # 3937836, purchased new June 2010. Used once , like new "
Compare that to " Homemade auto rotissirie. Works good."
Which one will recoop more of the investment is a no brainer.
Just my .02 Happy moparing

How much would one expect to pay for all the steel and accessories to make their own rotisserie? Every time I look at this, it seems to me the the materials aren;t that cheap. It might be worth my time to just go buy one that's already built and tested - rather than making my own only to save a couple hundred bucks.

We had the altered project on the rot for about 5 years just hanging using bumper bolts only. And most of that time it was upside down. but it back on the ground 2 weeks ago and hung the doors back on, no issues at all, went back in same adjustment spots.
We also have bearing on the pivot points to make it easier to rotate, one person can flip the car all the way around with hardly any effort. The bearings are hub bearings for a 97 to 04 dakota, we had spindles made to weld to the up rights, takes all the fun out of rotating the car. we have a cheby flywheel set up on one end to put a crank on, but it rotates so easy we never hooked that up.
BTW most of the metal used came from a scrap yard, you would be suprised what some people scrap, and buying every thing by the pound is alot cheaper.

cuda67bnl, where in Georgia are you? If you are close enough you can come look and take measurements of ours.
C

I'm in Loganville, a couple of hours north of you. If I decide to make one, and run into issues, I may take you up on your offer. Thanks.

How much would one expect to pay for all the steel and accessories to make their own rotisserie? Every time I look at this, it seems to me the the materials aren;t that cheap. It might be worth my time to just go buy one that's already built and tested - rather than making my own only to save a couple hundred bucks.

Last time I checked on materials it was about $330-400 here depending on supplier. Steel took a huge jump over the last few years. 3 years ago, I could have bought all the steel for roughly $175. I think steel prices are starting to come back down after the scrap went through the roof and is now back to a more reasonable level.

Takes about 6-12 hours to build with basic metal working skills/tools. Just make sure you know how to weld. Unless I figure my time at about 80-100/hr, it makes sense to me to build my own.

Last time I checked on materials it was about $330-400 here depending on supplier. Steel took a huge jump over the last few years. 3 years ago, I could have bought all the steel for roughly $175. I think steel prices are starting to come back down after the scrap went through the roof and is now back to a more reasonable level.

Takes about 6-12 hours to build with basic metal working skills/tools. Just make sure you know how to weld. Unless I figure my time at about 80-100/hr, it makes sense to me to build my own.
Well, I guess at $300 or $400 it is worth it to build yourself. I've got a guy up the street from me that is a welder by trade, and has access to the steel I need - maybe he can get me a good price.

Now my only other concern is if it will fit in my garage w/ the car on it. Anybody have an overall lenghth of the space their rotisserie takes with a Duster or dart on it?

Casey, I would`nt use these casters, Chinese junk, will not hold their rateing. ask me how I know. RedFish, where can I get me one of them there timemachine doohickys, 2010?8)

Casey, I would`nt use these casters, Chinese junk, will not hold their rateing. ask me how I know. RedFish, where can I get me one of them there timemachine doohickys, 2010?8)

The casters are kind of a lack of options.
I need pneumatic tires right now and they seem to work fine on the car dolly that was built for the car.
The car is on the dolly now - the car still has the rear end, transmission and k-member under it and they work fine.
One thing that I did do that could have made a difference was seal all of the tires with slime tire sealer.
I felt it would not hurt the tires because they would never see 3 mph anyway.

Casey Davis

The casters are kind of a lack of options.
I need pneumatic tires right now and they seem to work fine on the car dolly that was built for the car.
The car is on the dolly now - the car still has the rear end, transmission and k-member under it and they work fine.
One thing that I did do that could have made a difference was seal all of the tires with slime tire sealer.
I felt it would not hurt the tires because they would never see 3 mph anyway.

Casey Davis
I built a gantry style pipe cart, with these casters. With load centered, on flat concrete, with half of combined rateing, the forks tended to lay over and rub tires. had to straighten forks and reinforce. we`re talking 600 lbs. you would think 450 lbs x 4, you`d have 1400 lb. max rateing. I`d be careful out on rough ground. I priced good american casters at same rateing $650.00 a piece. If work justifies, the purchess of these castors, I`m getting them someday. Cause my cart is designed to haul 12" pipe, and can`t even haul 8".

When the entire surface in my shop is completed they will come off anyway.
I am going to be soda blasting so it is going to be moved around alot in the near future.

Do you mean $65 a piece?? God, I hope they aren't really 650........
No typo there, 650 large, but I betcha they`ll hold the 1400 lbs, combined rateing. They look sooooo much heavier duty than the same rated Chinese junk. As the old addage says, You get what you pay for:-D. The guy who wants to move a car around in his yard, better have a smooth flat yard, with 3 helpers, especially if car and rotisserie weigh more than 600 lbs.

Not to burglarize the thead but does anyone have a picture of their duster on the side in a standard two car garage?

pressure treated wood some 4+4 posts lag bolts 2stubs black pipe. she'll spin like the prices right wheel.When your done beak it down and build a body cart then when your done with that go build a fence!

-
Back