Rotors available (for now) for K-H disc brake cars

-
They look just like the ones that I bought a year ago (Rock Auto) that rub on the boots... Can you get a measurement of the diameter of the hat?

They look just like the ones that I bought a year ago (Rock Auto) that rub on the boots... Can you get a measurement of the diameter of the hat?
Mine are due here Thursday. I have an old brake drum caliper that should do the trick. I'll post the dimensions when they get here.

At the base, the diameter of the hat is 6.82"
IMG_20230511_151930186.jpg

There's a ridge that measures 0.1" tall at the base of the hat.
IMG_20230511_151938369.jpg

IMG_20230511_152053619.jpg

Above that ridge, the diameter of the hat is 6.62".
IMG_20230511_152020092.jpg

The dust boots may clear the ridge, depending on several size and location factors.

The rotors look pretty nice. They should do their job well. Unfortunately, when I checked this morning, both Rockauto and Amazon were sold out.

At the base, the diameter of the hat is 6.82"
View attachment 1716088747

There's a ridge that measures 0.1" tall at the base of the hat.
View attachment 1716088750

View attachment 1716088753

Above that ridge, the diameter of the hat is 6.62".
View attachment 1716088752

The dust boots may clear the ridge, depending on several size and location factors.

The rotors look pretty nice. They should do their job well. Unfortunately, when I checked this morning, both Rockauto and Amazon were sold out.

the dust boots are well clear of that ridge. I’ll take a picture and post it later, my wheels are off right now.
interesting - the dust boots in the ones I have on the car now bare;y touch the rotors in only about a 3-4" part of the diameter of the casting. As the castings are obviously not perfect and are slightly out of round. (if you know what I mean). I’m going to mark it and grind that off to make sure they don’t hit. I don’t see an issue with balance problem from the amount that needs to be removed…

pictures later…..

Yep, the dust boots are well out, I can tell from the black ring around the hat on my new calipers.

Just came across this. I'm in the middle of installing the rotors I had pressed onto the hubs a couple years ago. Bought them from Rock Auto in June 2020, Bendix PRT1054. Having the same problem with caliper dust boots rubbing the hat, and the bottom tip of the calipers rubbing as well. Not happy, just assumed they would fit, but there's really no telling until it's all put together. Rock Auto doesn't even list the rotors. I still have the original rotors, they measure about .765 and are rusty. Better to find out now, body is still in the shop. I will be watching this thread, hoping for a reasonable solution.

This problem has been around since at least the late 1990s. I probably still have the return reciept.
Instead of that mold being tossed, it seems to be the only mold now being used for casting. Probably due to the limited number of foundries casting rotors.
So on a newish rotor, we must look for ones that have the 'hats' machined down.

The fact that big names are still selling defective BRAKE PARTS for decades should give everyone pause when buying any aftermarket parts. Is it really the right part? Does it really fit and function the way it should? The manufacturers and remanufacturers clearly don't care as long as we buy it. This problem with the rotors should have been solved decades ago. Yes machining and balancing cost more and buyers might *****, but its the right thing to do.
:soapbox:

Invest in your local machinist to correct those goofy castings.

Anyone purchase and install the Layson's rotors BW-12163005? Did they fit properly?

anyone know where to get the small bolt drums that go on the rear? the larger brakes like on a 70 Swinger 340?

This problem has been around since at least the late 1990s. I probably still have the return reciept.
Instead of that mold being tossed, it seems to be the only mold now being used for casting. Probably due to the limited number of foundries casting rotors.
So on a newish rotor, we must look for ones that have the 'hats' machined down.

The fact that big names are still selling defective BRAKE PARTS for decades should give everyone pause when buying any aftermarket parts. Is it really the right part? Does it really fit and function the way it should? The manufacturers and remanufacturers clearly don't care as long as we buy it. This problem with the rotors should have been solved decades ago. Yes machining and balancing cost more and buyers might *****, but its the right thing to do.
:soapbox:
I am having this argument right now over a "knock off " BBD Carburetor all I know is the thing is flooding and the guy doesn't seem like he wants to believe its his "new" carburetor.

anyone know where to get the small bolt drums that go on the rear? the larger brakes like on a 70 Swinger 340?
Right now? New?
Seems from this thread that many places are out of stock again. Found a Source for 10” rear drums with 1-3/4” shoe

Can try the various part numbers in ebay or ask your local store (if there is one) to see if their warehouses have them.
That guy from around NY, screen name mobileparts, he may have an good pair used or unused. He often goes to Carlisle.
Last time I put new shoes on my Barracuda, I had East Coast Machine turn the drums. Who knew these would become rare parts?
I've held onto the disks and hubs but I'm sure I scrapped a few drums...

Rock Auto says they have them. SBP 10" Rear Drums -- they don't have the Darth Vader helmet flanges like the originals, but they are a good fit on my 72 swinger with SBP 7.25" rear.

More Information for CENTRIC 12363044

Rock Auto says they have them. SBP 10" Rear Drums -- they don't have the Darth Vader helmet flanges like the originals, but they are a good fit on my 72 swinger with SBP 7.25" rear.

More Information for CENTRIC 12363044
If you need them, get them now. Rock Auto let me put 7 in my cart and said that was all that was available (I emptied it , so it's not "holding" any). Summit had seven a couple of weeks ago, and now they are out of stock.

proabbly find the rotors being wrong is due to the slight difference between US rotors and the Australian rotors that were used with a solid mount 2 piston PBR caliper

see this here Front Disc Brake Rotor : VC VE VF - Solid Disc

got a fat band round the hat section

in thses days of globalisation has somone somewhere focused in on the australian part for 66 -69 Aussie 4 inch pcd cars with optional solid disc brakes, and decided it is suitable to be sold for all small bolt pattern cars in all markets? i.e nothing wrong with the casting, just the rotor you are being sold is for use on Aussie Cars

Just a guess.

the australians are not complaining about rubber dust boot damage.

rear drums the aussies used 9 inch and 10 inch rear drums 9 inch in 4inch pcd and 9 and 10 inch in 4.5 inch pcd none of them were darth vader helmet style.

Dave

Can't confuse the solid rotors for the vented ones. Totally different casting.
1688648391119.png

1688648018362.png

I will have the Front Disc Brake (S B P 5 x 4 Kelsey Hayes 4 piston Caliper ) ROTORS &
I will have the Rear ( S B P 5 x 4 10 " x 1 3/4 " " A " Body 8 cylinder ) BRAKE DRUMS

@ Chryslers @ Carlisle...... H 107 - H 108 .......

Craig........

I too have new rotors on the shelf... Has anyone measured their hub on those that Don't rub?

My original used rotors (not current stuff) measure 5.942" at the top of the hat and 6.596" at the bottom of the hat. These are old and worn to .7660" thick, and didn't rub the hat.

Glad this popped up again.
...has anybody had caliper boot interference with new rotors that come with the hubs and hats machined?
I dug mine out and they are completely machined.

-
Back