rotted torsion bar cross member

-

wayne1295745

Reaction score
i have a 66 dart slant six
the torsion bar cross member is rotted almost in half making the car sag
almost to the ground. Would a good repair kit like the ones written about in the forums handle this problem? if so what do you guys think are the best kits out there and what else would i need besides the kit to fix the problem, or should i get a good used one from a wrecking yard?

thanks

wayne

I've done the repair.

(Warning, tired brain typing...forgive the spelling.)

Auto Rust Technictions,,er SP! Out of Rhoad Island have what they call frame caps. While there designed to go over the frame, remove the bad part of the frame and weld in the frame cap.

IF you weld, this is a fairly quick and easy permenant fix. The metal is much much thicker then the frame. SO, IF you wish, you could remove the T-bar anchor and re-weld it to the kit.

Heres a link to my old project...somewhere in there, you can see my fido's *** welding skills at work. The beauty of the rotted floors ... lol .... that allowed access to both side of the T-bar anchor.

Even though the welds look horrorable, I know I was able to get the weld penatration needed for this.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

i have a 66 dart slant six
the torsion bar cross member is rotted almost in half making the car sag
almost to the ground. Would a good repair kit like the ones written about in the forums handle this problem? if so what do you guys think are the best kits out there and what else would i need besides the kit to fix the problem, or should i get a good used one from a wrecking yard?

thanks

wayne

If you havn't done this already. You need to inspect the complete bottom of the car. I have found that when one part of the unibody/frame is that rusty that other parts such as the front or rear frame rails are in bad shape also. Make sure the car is worth repairing.

I've done the repair.

(Warning, tired brain typing...forgive the spelling.)

Auto Rust Technictions,,er SP! Out of Rhoad Island have what they call frame caps. While there designed to go over the frame, remove the bad part of the frame and weld in the frame cap.

IF you weld, this is a fairly quick and easy permenant fix. The metal is much much thicker then the frame. SO, IF you wish, you could remove the T-bar anchor and re-weld it to the kit.

Heres a link to my old project...somewhere in there, you can see my fido's *** welding skills at work. The beauty of the rotted floors ... lol .... that allowed access to both side of the T-bar anchor.

Even though the welds look horrorable, I know I was able to get the weld penatration needed for this.
Me no see link???

If you havn't done this already. You need to inspect the complete bottom of the car. I have found that when one part of the unibody/frame is that rusty that other parts such as the front or rear frame rails are in bad shape also. Make sure the car is worth repairing.

X2 Very important. I'd try and get it on a lift, so I can get a good look.

-
Back