rough idle?

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
318 in a 74 dart with a 2 barrel carb. Exhaust choke coil.

Okay so her are my symptoms, start the car and it starts off fine. Pulloff works good (checked it). But after it runs for about 5 seconds it idles a little rough, doesn't die though. Then when I put it into gear, reverse or drive, and step on the gas or acts like its about to die and almost stops running, then acts like it gets a bunch of gas and takes off. I was wondering about why its idling rough and what causes the hesitation when I hit step on the gas? Also this is only when the car is started. Once i? drive around the hesitation doesn't happen and everything runs real smooth.

Check the vacuum pull-off that opens the choke slightly when the engine starts. The pull-off can develop a leak, or the linkage can get twisted and stuck.

I have checked the pull off, that's what I thought it was too. But there is no leak in the vacuum pull off :/.

There is a setting on the pull-off by bending the U in the linkage. I think it should open the choke about 1/8". May want read a manual or carb kit instructions on the setting and measure method. It may also be that the choke setting is too lean.

You may also have a weak ignition system, or other problem.

My 69 slant acted like that for years until I finally got a carburetor that made it run unbelievably smooth. I think all the others (Holley 1920) were making it idle lean. There are many bad rebuilt carbs out there. I don't think the cross-over would affect it much if it still happens in hot weather. My accel pump was OK. Indeed, I had to give it a short squirt when leaving a stop light or it would tend to die. If you really want to know what is going on, install an O2 sensor with a lean/rich box or go big and get a wideband O2 sensor.

-
Back