Rougher ride? Caltracs or SS springs

-

96bansheepilot

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart I'm gonna minitub and relocate springs on with 325-50-15 tires and not sure what spring to go with. The springs on it are shot and they are very soft. I'm looking for a lot stiffer ride than what I have. I don't want the ride to be terrible though. It is a street car but will be taken to the track occasionally. I don't have enough experience to decide.

Can anyone tell me which rides better/stiffer/softer.
Looking for any feedback on either combo.

I'm not looking for the axle to move much because the tires will be very close to rubbing..... or should I not be worried about this.

The car should be cut up in approx. two months so I'll try to document it when its going on.

Thanks for all the help!
-Paul

I have the MP Super Stocks (Both RH, IIRC) under my '72 Swinger and honestly, I think they ride pretty good. It's smoother than my wore-out shocks and limpdick stock springs, for sure.

Budget for getting them re-arched, unless you like driving downhill all the time.

i have mono leafs with caltracs on my street / strip
it has frame connectors and you feel every bump... but i like ....:burnout:

Caltracs are not going to affect your ride. They will help you hook up very well, but with a mini tub you may not need that. Good quality springs to keep your rear up and a quality shock to keep the wheels down. I am going with the adjustable shocks from Calvert Racing when I change.

My SS springs ride like a 3/4 ton pick up truck, no movement.

I can sit on the rear of the car with the trunk open and bounce 225 lbs up and down and they barely move.

My 2800 lbs ss springs are pretty stiff but smoother than the air shocks I had on it. There not to bad.

XHD springs (+1 or +2 over stock), a pinion snubber and a quality street shock. It's a street car and you will have plenty of tire, you won't need a drag oriented rear suspension.

I got 002/003 springs on my Dart. I like them. I don't think the ride is ruff. I would say firm but not bad.

I'm towards the end of the relocation mod. Doing the mini tub and 325 later in life. Ss springs with the calvert 9 ways. What I read is while driving on the street drop the shocks down to 5 or so and it greatly improves the ride. I should be able to give some feedback in a couple weeks.

I got 002/003 springs on my Dart. I like them. I don't think the ride is ruff. I would say firm but not bad.

I went with the same springs and they are great. I like the stiff rear. Gas-a-just KYB shocks from summit and I was good to go. I like it!

0513121652.jpg

0512121345b.jpg
0512121345.jpg

-
Back