Rounded tire?

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
At about 3500 RPM, the car does a pulsating vibration. It's not the driveshaft and it's coming from the passenger side of the car. At about 4000 RPM it completely goes away and I've got a smooth ride.

So I'm thinking its a rounded tire on the front passenger side of the car. Do you guys have any thoughts? Size in the front it 225/60/15 on a '70 Duster.

If it's a buzzing frequency, it's not a tire.

Difficult to determine on acceleration mode. Engine mounts/vibration dampener/trans mounts/u-joints are just a few items to inspect...John

I don't have my speedometer hooked up at the moment. But when I did, it happend in between 45-65 MPH. I've already had the u joints inspected and they're good. It's not the tranny or engine mounts either.

If it is rpm related it must be engine or tranny. Think about it. If it were not the engine or tranny it would be MPH related since the conditions for 3500 RPM in 3rd are different than 3500 in 2nd everywhere but the engine and tranny the vibration would not repeat at 3500 RPM in different gears.

If it is rpm related it must be engine or tranny. Think about it. If it were not the engine or tranny it would be MPH related since the conditions for 3500 RPM in 3rd are different than 3500 in 2nd everywhere but the engine and tranny the vibration would not repeat at 3500 RPM in different gears.

I'm going to check this out today, so if I don't get the vibration in second, but I get it in third what does that point too?

It's a tire.

If the speedo don't work then ya kinda have to go by RPM's right?

Duh

And if they are fine, swap suspected tire to other side. This can help eliminate tire as an issue.

Grant

Thank all you guys for the advice, and the problem turned out to be......... A bad lower ball joint on the passenger side of the car!

You didn't mention that you noticed it one day and it seemed to get worse over time.
Ball joints don't just go out all the sudden.:D

Ya got the solution though, and that's cool.

Thank all you guys for the advice, and the problem turned out to be......... A bad lower ball joint on the passenger side of the car!

You didn't mention that you noticed it one day and it seemed to get worse over time.
Ball joints don't just go out all the sudden.:D

Ya got the solution though, and that's cool.

Yeah, it was my mistake! But I'm hoping once the ball joint cones in that'll fix me problem. Now I've just gotta figure out where my oil and tranny fluid are leaking from :/ it's not much, oil is leaking outta the valve covers(I think) it's dripping on the drivers side and passenger side headers.

The last person I had do some tranny work for me, and they ended up breaking my shifter cable and in the process of taking off the cable braket stripped a screw and now there's a hole in the tranny pan where there should be a bolt.

I know this isn't the correct forum, but do you guys by any chance know if the tranny fluid could be leaking from the bolt hole? And could the oil be leaking that badly from the valve covers? Also I'll note that I'm taking it in tomorrow to have my valves adjusted(could not having this done early enough be a cause)?

I had same kinda problem it turned out to be my torque converter was happening right at a cruising speed with lite throttle and RPM"S right at 2900 rpm. If i eased up to 2800 i was cool or up to 3000 maybe even 3100 rpm's i was cool.Also let me add it was way more noticeable with my M1 manifold and when i switched to the Torker 2 Eldelbrock i was not as serge and that manifold was easier to keep under 2900 rpm and cruise.The m1 wanted to cruise closer to 2900 to 3000 rpm.Oh yeah changing to 3:55's from the 4:30 was what caused this to become even more noticeable since with the 4:30's all i wanted to do was run it hard light to light ok who am i kidding i still like to do that but older i get the more i just want to enjoy the over all experience !!!!!!

-
Back