Route 66 map/book recomendations

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
i know a few here have driven the mother road. does anyone have recommendations on maps or book that will help me plan the trip and what to see.?

Fine time to view the Mojave :thumbsup: Don't try to pet the Green Rattlesnakes. Numerous volcanic areas out there. Calico Ghost Town used to be fun, near Barstow, old silver mining town. Barstow/Yermo is where Del Taco began :lol: Mexican fast food popular in the west. I think Oatman is on 66, another ghost town on the Arizona side of the Colorado River.

My wife and I did the whole thing (and a bunch more) West to East last summer - we left the car on the East Coast and are planning to fly out and do Rt66 again the coming summer, back home to WA State. We bought a LOT of books and maps, but when it came down to it our go to book was Route 66 Travel Guide - 202 Amazing Places by Mark Watson. There are both east to west and west to east versions for ease of use. Maps were a combination of the Route 66 Map Series by Jim Ross and Jerry McClanahan, a fresh Rand McNally Road Atlas, and the GPS unit.

The best recommendation that we got was no more than an average of 200 miles per day! The result was stopping and really seeing what was there, not being worn out every day. I presume that you will be driving your A-body, so security is an issue. We preferred Motor Courts, motels and other ovenight stops where we could park the car right in front of the room. There are really cool vintage motor courts, lots of motels with the room entrances to the outside (as opposed to an inside hallway) and you can ask for a first floor room. The other trick was KOA campgrounds with camping cabins. Many these days have bathroom & showers in the unit, some have kitchenettes and many are air conditioned. They cost the same or less than motels and are off the road with controlled access so really safe. I just spent a few nights making a list of preferred overnight stops for our trip this summer so if you want I can send the list to you.

I'll send a pm to you, I'd be glad to help you with your planning - lots of folks helped me.

this is part of sick 66 so we will be a bit restricted on the route. gotta follow their route and stop for pictures at specific places.

hope to take the dart if i can get the motor done and some mileage on it. if that falls through I'll just take the mustang. really want to take the dart though.

just ordered the east to west version of the book you suggested. had those maps im my cart and was wondering if they were decent. ordered them too. I'll have my phone gps, a stand alone gos and a road atlas with me too. thanks for the recommendation

i know a few here have driven the mother road. does anyone have recommendations on maps or book that will help me plan the trip and what to see.?
There’s a really good Route 66 that can help there.

There’s also this website that has linked to various maps and books, including the Route 66 guide.

Route 66: The Mother Road

I can also send you a wall map sized of Route 66 link if you want that

I kind of have a Route 66 obsession

IMG_3759.png

That is SOOOO COOOOL!!! I've subscribed to their news letter and am interested in participating at a later date!

I'm only doing sick ward so no racing but figured it gave me an excuse to actually do it and they plan a lot of it

until '72 you could see this from 66 in Fontana
1709682462082.png

I know because I saw The Little Red Wagon wheelstander pass us at 100 mph when we were on 66/Foothill Blvd :lol:

has some poor reviews though.
Yeah a lot of people don’t seem to like it. It used to be fairly buggy so I don’t know if that’s the reason or not, I’ve never had any issues with it and so far, it’s worked just fine.

I will caveat it with this, I’ve only used it to route plan for my trip next year, and not taken it on the actual route.

Route 66 Traveler's Guide by Tom Snyder ISBN-10:0-312-25417-2, is a must if you want to see ALL the original road. First half takes you east to west and the second half west to east. The most complete turn by turn manual I've ever seen.

Route 66 Traveler's Guide by Tom Snyder ISBN-10:0-312-25417-2, is a must if you want to see ALL the original road. First half takes you east to west and the second half west to east. The most complete turn by turn manual I've ever seen.

this??

1709743678455.png

this is part of sick 66 so we will be a bit restricted on the route. gotta follow their route and stop for pictures at specific places.

hope to take the dart if i can get the motor done and some mileage on it. if that falls through I'll just take the mustang. really want to take the dart though.
Sweet! I'm also signed up for Sick 66 and will be taking my 1970 Dart. I'm coming from AZ and plan to initially travel northwest and get on Route 66 in Topock at the CA/AZ border and then drive it all the way to Springfield, MO. My father and my father-in-law are my co-pilots. We're going to try to get as much of the Route 66 experience as we can on the trip from AZ to MO. I'm signed up to race so I figured it would be a good idea to take some time on the way there to see as much of the Route 66 sites as we can.

-
Back