RTV CURE TIME?

-
RTV means Room Temperature Vulcanizing. It takes 24 hours to set up at room temperature. Seal it up and go drive it.

Did it many many times. Apply a narrow bead to pan and go have coffee . Once it has skinned over, go ahead and install it. Fill right away or later, your call. Many Fwd transmissions use a sealant, no gasket from factory. And atf. Rarely did i ever get a leak. And in a shop setting,24 hour cure time isnt happening.

Orange stuff was called odd job. I have bent covers trying to remove them when the ornage stuff was used.

When I lived in Illinois, RTV took 3-4 times longer to dry/set up than it does here in the SoCal desert. And painting a car..now use lots more thinner/retarder. Temperature and humidity.

Early 80's GM factory used the orange stuff (GMS) on pan, valve cover, timing covers, intakes etc.
Early 80's GM spent a fortune on warranty replacement of all those RTV style gskts,
- replaced with "cork" .

Anyone tried this stuff?
F0899336-0C8E-4FA4-9567-4C82AD329EE5.jpeg

Permatex® Automatic Transmission RTV Gasket Maker, 3 OZ - Permatex

Filled her up after 24 hours...No leaks. Found the vent nipple plugged with rust so I guess that's why it popped the rubber from the axle seal. Thanks for everyone's input. The comment about pressure build up probably saved me a do-over. I am $600 in once I did the seals, backing plates, hardware kit, parking brake shoes, pads, 75w140 and friction modifier. Wouldn't want that bill at the dealer!

Orange stuff was called odd job. I have bent covers trying to remove them when the ornage stuff was used.
Don’t think it is the same product as I have pulled a 100 covers off over the years without any issues.I do remember that orange stuff you mentioned, turned rock hard and pretty much had to chisel it off.

Filled her up after 24 hours...No leaks. Found the vent nipple plugged with rust so I guess that's why it popped the rubber from the axle seal. Thanks for everyone's input. The comment about pressure build up probably saved me a do-over. I am $600 in once I did the seals, backing plates, hardware kit, parking brake shoes, pads, 75w140 and friction modifier. Wouldn't want that bill at the dealer!
Good job, glad all went well and you saved a bundle of cash.

-
Back