rtv sealant required??

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Looking for your thoughts.. I am re assembling my 8 3/4.
Beside the paper style gasket, do I need to use any rtv sealant when I put the gearset onto the housing??

Thanks

I always pull just about any paper gasket between 2 fingers and evenly apply rtv. Just enough to change its color and make it tacky.

What about those spray tack products, I've used them before and they seem to work- if anything they hold the gasket in place for a few moments to get the parts together.

An 8-3/4 has studs that stick out of the housing that the gasket and carrier slide onto so there's no need to worry about any tacky sealer to hold the gasket in place as the studs will. I've found rtv to be a bunch easier to get off in case you ever take it back apart. Other than that use what ever sealer you like. It don't need much.

Thanks... weather is warming up from -26 Friday to -7 celcius today so I might put the back end together today..

I don't put anything on mine, RTV will tend to squeeze the gasket out and it just makes a mess. Mopar didn't use anything on the gasket why should you?

I heard they didn't even use a gasket on the exhaust manifolds.

I don't put anything on mine, RTV will tend to squeeze the gasket out and it just makes a mess. Mopar didn't use anything on the gasket why should you?

Humm... I never have a problem using RTV but then again I don't go crazy like alot of guys do. I just put a real think coat of it on both sides of the gasket and I've never had it push the gasket out. Alot of times they will seep if you don't use sealer so that's why I use it. JMO

One thing that i did many years ago and havent had a leak at all, and have changed the center section many different times.

Eliminate the rtv. I made a gasket out of an old piece of linoleum left over from the kitchen floor.

:thumbrig:

RTV and no gasket…….. Thats how its done on many new cars these days.

If you are using RTV on something like a 3rd member install a paper gasket isn't needed.

-
Back