Run on Ammo?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I was just on the Cheaper Than Dirt website looking to replenish my stock of 5.56 ammo and noticed that a good portion or their bulk ammo is out of stock.. Am I seeing the beggining of a run on ammo? :-k

I remember how bad it was after the last election, all the shelves at the local stores were cleaned out.

I have hear of a number of stores running low on, or out of, a number of calibers. I purchased a couple of cases of NATO 5.56 not long after Clinton was elected in 1992. It proved to be a good move after Clinton banned importation of "military" ammo and "military" semi-automatic rifles. I think the fear is what Obama will do if he wins the next election; at least that is what people have been telling me.

sounds like a good excuse to pick up the equipment and supplies to reload your own casings. :D

I used to get a lot of stuff from a place that is no longer in business. They would go to the bigger shows in AZ and set up at least 3 stand. I need to set up my press and start reloading one of these days. Have a crap load of brass. Need anymore I will just contact the guy I was getting it all from. I used to get a better deal from him if I called, if the woman answered I knew I would always get a bit ore than I paid for. Will need to make a trip to the coast to get bullets. Have to buy in bulk, but you can mix and match to get the count required.....

You should really start reloading. The gun grabbers will get to ammo eventually knowing full well a gun without ammo is the worlds most expensive club. TEOTWAWKI is nigh. Obozo and "my people" Ear ache Holder's first try were unsuccessful with F&F but will try again.

Was not for the frigging tax problem that just popped up I would probably be driving to the coast shortly, but Uncle Sam says I did not pay him enough.....A buddy in AZ, last time I was in his garage, had close to 50k loaded rounds of everything he shot. And he had 3 55 gallon drums of empties. I tried to talk him out of the empties but had no luck. My next visit I will try again, sooner or later he will give in....

Yeah well at least the bullets you guys are firing are cheap. Mine cost $5 a round, so I don't fire the gun off very much.

Yeah well at least the bullets you guys are firing are cheap. Mine cost $5 a round, so I don't fire the gun off very much.
I got a 50 bmg rifle, don't get much more pricerer than that...

I was just on the Cheaper Than Dirt website looking to replenish my stock of 5.56 ammo and noticed that a good portion or their bulk ammo is out of stock.. Am I seeing the beggining of a run on ammo? :-k

I remember how bad it was after the last election, all the shelves at the local stores were cleaned out.

Military placed a huge order for .223 ammo which will deplete the supply for a while. It will last for 6 months. When it is resupplied it will cost the same a 30-06. Bummer for those whose purchased AR-15s because of the low cost of .223 rounds.
Look for PMC .223 if you can.

Military placed a huge order for .223 ammo which will deplete the supply for a while. It will last for 6 months. When it is resupplied it will cost the same a 30-06. Bummer for those whose purchased AR-15s because of the low cost of .223 rounds.

That sucks. Good thing I have a good stash of .223 for my Mini14. Should last me for a while.

I always wonder why survivalists buy big caliper guns. If the plan is to run off to the mountains and live off the land, a .22 caliper bolt-action rifle and all the rounds you can carry seems like the smartest choice, plus spare parts. How many .223 rounds could you carry and how long would they last? If your fear is fighting off an oppressive government, your small arms would be no match, plus they could always starve you out like Stalin did, so pack a lot of food. Easier is to put away your fears, trust in the ballot box, and learn to live peacefully.

I always wonder why survivalists buy big caliper guns. If the plan is to run off to the mountains and live off the land, a .22 caliper bolt-action rifle and all the rounds you can carry seems like the smartest choice, plus spare parts. How many .223 rounds could you carry and how long would they last? If your fear is fighting off an oppressive government, your small arms would be no match, plus they could always starve you out like Stalin did, so pack a lot of food. Easier is to put away your fears, trust in the ballot box, and learn to live peacefully.
Substitute "fear" with "fun". I don't think anybody here is a doomsdayer believer. At least I hope not. Try escaping to the mountains during doomsday on the 405 in Los Angeles. Nobody is going anywhere. But if you think about it..the public probably outguns law inforcement and the military 10 to 1. Long live the 2nd amendment. And the 50 cal BMG.

:-k Who said an thing about over throwing the guberment? LOL

I use my 20 and 12 gauge for rodent removal. Semi auto! The family also gets together on the holidays or during partys and shoot some skeet.

The Mini14 was a gift from my grandfather. I don't use it much do to how far the rounds can fly but sill brake it out when company is over to have a little fun.

Believe it or not some people have guns for fun and not because were crazed nut jobs. LOL

:-k Who said an thing about over throwing the guberment? LOL

I use my 20 and 12 gauge for rodent removal. Semi auto! The family also gets together on the holidays or during partys and shoot some skeet.

The Mini14 was a gift from my grandfather. I don't use it much do to how far the rounds can fly but sill brake it out when company is over to have a little fun.

Believe it or not some people have guns for fun and not because were crazed nut jobs. LOL

Russell, I think most of us are crazed nut jobs. Not because of guns but Mopars.

Maybe it's the fear of the Trayvon shooting escalating to violence. Just like Rodney Kings deal.

The only reason I have 1/2" bore firearms is because I can. Some folks just like things in excess. Come on now, who needs a twin turbo street car or an 800hp HEMI in anything but a drag car? One of the things I used to enjoy doing with the rifle was shooting water jugs. And I really miss the 1" plate rabbit I found in the desert. If hit in the right spot, it would not even fall. It became a game to see if I could hit it and have it stand back up after it was done tumbling.

I have guns for fun too. I just rarely shoot much because a 40 mile drive into the Sierras and $0.50/round in my Russian rifle adds up. I prefer my .22 WMR w/ scope since you can hit a bottle at 200 yards and rounds are cheap. I don't mind survivalists and have known a few. I left a MAC-10 for sale at a gun shop in GA when I moved to CA since illegal here at that time (black guns are bad?, go figure). 9-11 happened a few months later and it sold quick, so I profited from fear. Wish I had bought some Chinese AK's when they were $100 way back. Not a nut, I actually needed the MAC when I lived in Atlanta just a mile from the "green line" and had to go outside fully armed a few times like when my neighbor had someone trying to pry her window. I even arrested a burglar once. My rant on survivalists is that most are impractical. Eric Rudolf found slim pickings in the mountains and found dumpster diving much preferable to scraggly squirrels and acorns.

As far as I know none of us here are survivalists.......be kind of tough to stash an A-body in the woods.

I gotta S&W 50 cal pistol cause I wanted one. Kitty surprised me one Christmas with it. Are rounds expensive? Well yeah. But it's FUN. I agree 100% about the small arms deal. But it's not stupid to have at least one or two of something chambered in 223.

-
Back