Run on Ammo?

-
The "run" on ammo is for real as "preppers" (new term for survivalists) are spooked by 12/21/2012 and the fact the current Administration is looking at joining the UN's global arms control treaty. Unfortunately for the them the "pesky" 2nd Amendment keeps getting in the way. They're trying to figure out how to circumvent THAT without causing a riot. My prediction is "THEY" will tax the Hell out of ammo making it simply too costly (in their eyes) to own firearms. IDIOTS, IMO!
While I do think civil unrest is a real possibility given the current and declining state of affairs my guess is it'l be sporadic & localized making obtaining ammo still relatively easy. Still, it doesn't hurt to have a few thousand rounds of your favorite caliber around for WHEN you'll really need it.

Sportsmans Guide often has some good prices on surplus rounds, i.e. .223, .308, 7.62x39, .50 cals etc

Pat

As far as I know none of us here are survivalists.......be kind of tough to stash an A-body in the woods.

I don't know why but that visual image that popped into my head made me laugh out loud. Can't leave behind our beloved A-bodies. Wife, kids, house Yes. Car, weapons, ammo, and liquor NO. :toothy8:

I don't know why but that visual image that popped into my head made me laugh out loud. Can't leave behind our beloved A-bodies. Wife, kids, house Yes. Car, weapons, ammo, and liquor NO. :toothy8:
Got to have your priorities straight.....you forgot one tough, the pooch.....

It seems like every election year people freak out and hoard tons of ammo. Local LEO's even end up having trouble keeping supplied. Seems like this year many gov. agencies got ahead of the game. Smart really.

I try to stay supplied with more than enough ammo to last through a solid year. Prices only go up so you might as well get it before it does.

Hmmmm....... Wonder why ammo is in demand. :roll:

Lunatics + fearmongers = ammo sales

Afterall, certain people are so petrified of what will happen when they're likely "forced" to live with the black man in office for four more years. Since you know, he took away half their guns rights in these 4 years :roll: and in 4 more he's gonna completely erase the 2nd ammendment :roll: Because presidents have that kind of power! :roll:

They feel more comfortable with the ones who just want to wipe their *** with the rest of it and just leave the 2nd ammendment.

SO I got a neighbor who wants to sell me his bushmaster AR in 223 with a 24in barrel with 1 in 10 twist for $900.00 should I buy it???? Thanks Steve

SO I got a neighbor who wants to sell me his bushmaster AR in 223 with a 24in barrel with 1 in 10 twist for $900.00 should I buy it???? Thanks Steve

Bushmaster makes one of the best AR 15s in the industry. Depends how old it is, how many rounds have been through it, and how its been cared for and what model it is.
Check out Bushmaster's web page and see which one it is.

Bushmaster makes one of the best AR 15s in the industry.
Remember when Armalite's M-16 was first fielded in Vietnam? Navy Seals "accidentally" dropped them in the river because they didn't want a "plastic gun" replacing their M-14. It has come a long way, though the world still votes for the AK-47.

Images of the Taliban driving Toyota pickups on rocky trails was the best advertisement Toyota could hope for, just like WWII images did for Jeep sales.

magnumdust,

You see a half-black President and I see half-white. The Jewish rule goes by the mother, probably because one always know who the momma was. I don't know about everyone else, but I always wondered why my boys liked to dress in brown shorts and pretend they were delivering packages. Problem is, many people are stuck on the old "one drop of blood" rule. By that rule, most of us are black because our Jeffersonian ancestors followed the Arnold rule of "if it's there, ...".

I agree that a large number of working and middle class whites have been duped into voting against their own interests. That was the genius of Newt's political strategy, and I watched it develop in Cobb County, GA. Maybe they'll figure it out when all their property is in the hands of a few and the U.S. looks like a Central American country. Hard to pity them since they were motivated by racism and hatred.

I just got back today from bulking up on .22's and 9mm's. Got plenty of .223's, .243's and 45-120 Sharps ammo.

Cabalas just ran a sale here, I got the flyer last week...something like 25% off on 5.56. A comment on the shortage, in 1966 we went from M14's to M 16's (I was in the 25th Inf RVN) and we had a hugh problem with the 16's jamming. One of the problems was a shortage of military grade ammo. We heard that the 223 ball ammo was light ..didn't produce enough gas pressure. Guess who should get the first shot at the 5.56? in my mind it's the military..hands down!!!

Me and my daughter went out today took the 22-250 and 17HMR had some fun. Shes gettin pretty good. The ex hates that im teaching her how to shoot and gun safety.

Cabalas just ran a sale here, I got the flyer last week...something like 25% off on 5.56. A comment on the shortage, in 1966 we went from M14's to M 16's (I was in the 25th Inf RVN) and we had a hugh problem with the 16's jamming. One of the problems was a shortage of military grade ammo. We heard that the 223 ball ammo was light ..didn't produce enough gas pressure. Guess who should get the first shot at the 5.56? in my mind it's the military..hands down!!!

M14s have been repurposed as sniper rifles. My sons friend is in
Afghanistan and a sniper using a modified M14.

One of the greatest if not heaviest military rifles ever. They never seam to go away. I have the M1A Super Match good for 2500 yard shots with 186 match grade ammo.

My coworker who served in the Mekong Delta junked his M16 for the trusty M14. 1968-1969. I asked him to show me how to field strip and clean and grease my M1A. I went over on a Friday night. No ammo in the house. And he hadn't handled one in 42 years. Turned off the light and did it in the dark. While I was impressed I didn't see what he did. So he did it again for me with the lights on. I was very proud of him and his service and told him that every year(24) I knew him. He passed away from cancer last year but left a lasting impression on me.

Too bad I can only see 700 yards with a scope.

Yeah its pretty good in both of those. I have a Marlin model 917V with a heavy barrel. My daughter was shooting at 200 yards today bench resting the gun and a pretty good breeze and kept them in a 4 inch circle.

How are the 17 hmr's???? Fun and accurate???

Cool hows the 45-120, does it shoot black powder cartridges? I have a 45-70 government shoots modern cartridges.

I just got back today from bulking up on .22's and 9mm's. Got plenty of .223's, .243's and 45-120 Sharps ammo.

I have a 45-70 government shoots modern cartridges.
Used to go shooting with a guy that had one of these. Neat rifle. He used the rifle for Cowboy Action shooting or something of that nature, he was in the process of trying to find the right load for it. Was having a hell of a time trying to find a load that was accurate and slow enough. At 100 yards you were lucky to get five shots on the paper with all of the different loads he had for it. Don't know if he ever got it figured out.

Cool hows the 45-120, does it shoot black powder cartridges? I have a 45-70 government shoots modern cartridges.

I love my 45-120 Sharps. It's a custom Model 1874 Long Range Express manufactured in Big Timber Montana. I visited the factory and mine fits me perfectly. Unbelievable recoil, much worse than shooting the 458 Win Mag. Highly accurate at 400 yards out and further. I prefer long range stuff and 1000 yds is really fun. You do have to shoot it a lot in order to know where to set up the tang site. It's my favorite rifle to shoot. I have some target bull barrel stuff w/big power scopes and the Sharps 45-120 black powder cartridge is just bloody fun. At the range it gets a ton of spectators. I'll let some of them shoot a round, haven't had anyone want to shoot another round out of it.... bunch of candy asses.

EDIT: @ inkjunkie Mine will stay in the bullseye at 400 yds.... If you've set up the tang site correctly and can take the recoil.

I run all kinds of different rounds through mine but it seems to do best with 375gr hard cast lead bullets. I bought mine to take into the hills deer hunting but wanted something that would stop a bear just incase. The first deer I ever hit with that thing was about 40 yards out, it almost took both front legs off it....wasnt pretty. I never shot one that close with it again.

Used to go shooting with a guy that had one of these. Neat rifle. He used the rifle for Cowboy Action shooting or something of that nature, he was in the process of trying to find the right load for it. Was having a hell of a time trying to find a load that was accurate and slow enough. At 100 yards you were lucky to get five shots on the paper with all of the different loads he had for it. Don't know if he ever got it figured out.

I was just on the Cheaper Than Dirt website looking to replenish my stock of 5.56 ammo and noticed that a good portion or their bulk ammo is out of stock.. Am I seeing the beggining of a run on ammo? :-k

I remember how bad it was after the last election, all the shelves at the local stores were cleaned out.

i guess i should get more if i can find any i only have 8000 rounds of 308 6000 rounds of 223 1200 rounds of 9mm and only about 4000 rounds of 300 win. and i don't have a count on shotgun shells if its get hard to get i better stock up just so you don't think there is something wrong with me i shoot IDPA 3 GUN competition

I run all kinds of different rounds through mine but it seems to do best with 375gr hard cast lead bullets.

I load 410 gr and a 500 gr lead bullets. Both bullets are paper patch design. You can shoot PP bullets a lot faster than a regular lead bullet. There is a loading for the 45-120 listed in one of the manuals using a 240 gr that is 3000 fps out the barrel.

i guess i should get more if i can find any i only have 8000 rounds of 308 6000 rounds of 223 1200 rounds of 9mm and only about 4000 rounds of 300 win. and i don't have a count on shotgun shells if its get hard to get i better stock up just so you don't think there is something wrong with me i shoot IDPA 3 GUN competition

I dont want anyone to know whats in my safe.

-
Back