Run stand questions

-

Mopar44134

Reaction score
Looking to build a run stand.

The starter is the big question. I was looking for bellhousings but it seems they cost around 150. In the how too thread i saw a custom bracket. I'm assuming he made it. Does anyone know where you could buy one?

As i was rummaging through the garage, I have a 5.7 hemi flywheel which is the same as a 4.7 that i have. Obviously the crank bold patterns are different but the old school flywheel torque converter bold holes just about line up. Crank center line too. Has anyone experimented with this?

TIA

20220326_093305.jpg

20220326_093852.jpg

I've got to make one soon also. I have a bunch of extra cross beams for pallet racking that I plan on cutting and making the frame out of and mounting a B or E body k frame to it. I have both a small block and big block 727 to use as needed. I'm just going to pull the pump out of both if a 130 tooth flywheel won't clear the input shafts and will just bolt the starter to the transmission. All in the planning stages right now though.

I was thinking about that too. Finding a donor auto trans. I was looking to keep it...not so bulky. easy to work around. i thought about going to pull a part, seeing what manual trans bell housings are out there. any 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 318 etc would bolt up. I'd probably just spend the money before crawling under a junk yard vehicle.

In the back of my mind i thought about creating the template like in the article, having a machine shop make a few to sell.

there are a few pics of the starter brackets here. its pretty simple when you hold the starter up to the ring gear and see whats needed.

bust a corner off an old 904? like this VW
A%2F%2Fwww.vwnos.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2F0001554_starter-adapter-for-engine-test-stand.jpg

When I built the run stand for my magnum I just mounted the trans to it and included a trans mount on the run stand. Seems there are so many different options for balance on a mopar small block that you don’t want to cobble stuff together.

I did find a 273 bellhousing here in my area, $50. After a little research on this site...i learned that housing is for the smaller 9.5 flywheel. Maybe 10" for my use. Since im concerned it may create problems if i put a 360 on the run stand, finding an externally balance flywheel, i thought against it.

So i did order the bracket from rumz1 on ebay. Should be here this week.

Anyone interested in that bellhousing, here is a pic and the guys add. He's in the middle of a Gen 3 A body swap.

273bellehousing.jpg

I just use an empty trans case. You can run a manual flywheel or just cut the front off a torque converter about one inch back from the end of the ring gear.

Small Blocks and Big Blocks will start with the same 130 tooth flywheel.

I use a flywheel off a 69' 318 for both engines.

Here is a 383 big block being started with the standard 318 flywheel in place of the 727 torque converter with the 727 trans.

Not having to turn any transmission parts on first startup after the rebuild, using a manual trans flywheel.

Screenshot_20220408-220309_Gallery.jpg

-
Back