Running a stuck engine

-

akrateffil

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an engine that is stuck. When I say stuck I mean a piston is froze in a cylinder. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with freeing up a stuck piston and then running the engine. Did it run for a short time or for a long while. Did it smoke? Am I fooling myself with attempting to run it without a rebuilding it? The engine is a 440 and the cylinder wall has some pitting.
Thanks, Andy

Bought a Dart Sport with its slant six seized up. Pulled the plugs and poured a little transmission fluid in each cylinder. I let it soak for several hours and put a pry bar to the teeth on the torque converter to turn it over. It broke free and turned all the way around. Put in a fresh battery and plugs and it started! With tranny fluid burning, did it smoke? You bet it did. Ended up rebuilding it anyway.

My dad poured Marvel Mystery oil in the plug holes of a froze VW. A week later he put the plugs in he and several friends drove it for several years.

I have unstuck many engines in the past and gotten them running with great success.

....and some......not so much. lol

LOL Rob

to the OP:

Bottom line, your mileage may vary...but I'd give it a shot...worst case you rebuild it anyway

In fact, I have a friend who lives in the same county that has a survivor 71 Super Bee. 75% of it's original paint, numbers matching transmission and rear end. He has a NOM 383 HP in it now and drive it semi regularly.

The original engine is in his barn and stuck. We are going to get around to un sticking it......but it is going to be rebuilt.

I'm running a 318 in my truck right now that had 2 cylinders that had water in them and rust.I'm cheap and thought what the heck give it a shot. Soak with MM and after getting it to turn put the piston down in the bore and hit the cylinder with a hone.Yes it still was pitted but is still running 5 years later.At first it would smoke on start up for a while under acceleration until getting up to temp that slowly went away the more it was driven. Now uses a quart of oil about every 250-300 miles.Good enough for a $500 truck.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Marvel Mystery Oil ......... a remarkable oil-lubricant.

This. Marvel's Mystery Oil ,works. The old man, made me run it down the carb, of my '69 351 Cougar. The ensuing tailpipe smoke stream , got a phone call from the Fire department... FWIW, it sure had less detonation in street digs.

Automatic Transmission Fluid thinned with Acetone may be the Mystery.Several guys use that combo for penetrating oil.

-
Back