Running after key off??

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting my car back on the road after installing a new oil pan, transmission cooler with fan (no relay) and a new steering box. While the steering column was out, it was rotated several times and it rotated freely. Would that mess up any grounding issues? I of course had to unplug the harnesses and reinserted them. The column is grounded. Electrically speaking, I did wire up a fan, Removed and installed my distributor, unplugged the steering column, wired a transmission temperature gauge, installed a new holley digital dash.

How do I track down why the car keeps running until the fuel pressure drops for the Holley Sniper EFI. Maybe a couple seconds at most.

You are backfeeding power in to the ecu somewhere. Likely the alternator, but you’ll have to do some diagnostics to find it.

I have heard of a fan motor doing this. Find out what all is fed off the "run" line and if that is the cause, IE monitor it with a meter and see if it "hangs" energized.

I have heard of a fan motor doing this. Find out what all is fed off the "run" line and if that is the cause, IE monitor it with a meter and see if it "hangs" energized.
Somehow I missed the electric fan deal. But I have heard that also.
Simple test, unplug the fans, start and shut off the car, see if it shuts down right away.

Yes, I would disconnect the fan on your trans cooler you just installed, see what happens then maybe :thumbsup:

I will remove the fuse and see what happens. I hope that it is just the fan. thanks

Now that the transmission temperature is down, the fan is not going and there is no run on. Problem identified. Now, is the fix to put in a relay to control the fan???

Most fans that are large enough to cool for certain need a relay Evidently "the way fans work" with this problem is that when they coast down, they become a generator and feed power back into the line. I believe that if you use a relay the problem will go away, because the main feed to the fan is from the battery, and it's always hot

A quick addition of a relay, (I should have done it in the first place), solved the issue. Now I have a working transmission fluid cooler with fan. It starts at 180 on the outgoing from the transmission and even in 100% temps today it stayed at 170* F in the pan on a 20 minute cruise with a bit of 3/4 throttle acceleration up to 80 mph.

Thank you for the quick and helpful responses.

Most fans that are large enough to cool for certain need a relay Evidently "the way fans work" with this problem is that when they coast down, they become a generator and feed power back into the line. I believe that if you use a relay the problem will go away, because the main feed to the fan is from the battery, and it's always hot
This made sense (becoming a generator)when I looked and saw the power was coming from a Buss that also fed the ignition box. They are separated now. Thanks

-
Back