Running hot I think

-

klingon

Reaction score
I have a 1969 dart with a 408 in her .I have a 6 blade stock fan on her and if I put a seven blade stock fan will it run cooler the temp was around 198 with six blade fan?I have three core rad but no shroud on her .Lost here just want to do the cheapest way to make run around 185

OK.
First off, hellow to a fellow Canadian
Secondly Do not ever say cheapest and cooling in the same paragraph. You have a 408. It cost a ton of money. You spend whatever it takes to keep it from self destructing. Most guys will never have more than one stroker in their lifetime. Make it live, whatever it takes. Rant over.
Now the good news.198 *F is a perfect temp for that girl. As time goes on,and you become more familiar with it, you may even want to increase her running temp.
- The minimum running temp of that system is governed by the thermostat. Make sure yours is a hi-flo, that opens with the coolant flow, instead of against it as most jobber stats do.The maximum running temp of your system is governed by the ability of the system to shed heat. This starts with the coolant itself. Then; the pump,the rad,the fan,and the supportworks .An increase in efficiency of any one of these gives added insurance that the engine will live. If you increase the efficiency to the point of overcooling, it is the job of the stat to maintain the minimum running temp. It does this by separating the cool coolant from the hot coolant, ie closes.
So, to answer you question: "if I put a seven blade stock fan will it run cooler the temp was around 198 with six blade fan?" IDK. If the 7blade fan is more efficient than the 6blade, then perhaps yes. But if your current system is already able to shed any excessive heat, then, no. It wont help one single bit, cuz the stat will maintain the minimum running temp. But it may/will decrease the maximum running temp. say on a very hot day, if and only IF, the current design is unable to shed its heat fast enough.
And just to repeat, a running temp of 198*F, to me is more desirable than 185. The minimum running temp of my 367 S is 205*F.

And on a different note, it would be swell if you spent a little more time on your punctuation.I'm not knocking on you or razzing you. It just makes deciphering the meaning of the words, easier.

Shroud and a 7 blade with fan clutch will keep it cool. How big are the tubes on the 3 core radiator?

i'm going to mess things up here.
the little mopar A body shroud will do nothing
clutch fans turn less than crank speed and will not cool as well
a 7 blade fan should move more air than a 6 blade if the blade pitch is the same
...but may block flow at highway speed

I was worried about the engine running hot when I put a little 273 Commando in my 66 Barracuda.

So, I had the radiator boiled out at a shop and flushed the block, new stat, and I found a stock shroud and put it on.

I went with a 185 stat. It runs right at 185, until I sit in traffic. Then it will climb to right at 195. Doesn't go over 195 until I shut it off. I'm happy!

You should be OK up to 200 or so.

Run the cheapest crap possible. Burn your junk up. Maybe then you will build the next one right.

P.S.

It's not overheating.

-
Back