running out of breath in the 1/4 mile

-
I know Carter "supposedly" makes HP mechanical pumps, but they are piss poor off shore made junk that's hit and miss with quality.
rand Carter
Item Weight 3.6 pounds
Product Dimensions 6.4 x 4.6 x 4.1 inches
Origin China
Item model number P4601HP
Manufacturer Part Number P4601HP
OEM Part Number P4601HP

Not like the High quality piss poor off shore made junk that you suggested? Those pumps USED to be good 20 years ago, now they are crap....BTW Amazon has same pump for $25 less than scummit. Buyer beware!!! They are also noisier than your running engine with loud exhaust. There are many better pumps for not much more $$ made in USA.

I just checked the box on our Carter M6902 mechanical pump (the same pump series as the presently available Super Strip M6270), and it says right on the box "Made in USA". (The pump, not the box...) I tink ve stick with US made mechanical for now, by golly.

(Now I don't know about the lower flow M6866 which I hope the OP ditches.)

I would like to see your setup and parts list as well.
Hope it's not too much trouble, but it's cheaper to copy a proven method and get it right the first time.
Thanks guys!
I'd be embarrassed to show the present 'Cuda setup..... it is incomplete, and is what the PO had for his stroker, pretty much 5/16" stern to stem. But it has a solid pump (Carter mechanical Super Strip type) that will flow 400-500-600 HP worth of fuel from 2500-6500 RPM, at 4-5 psi.) Eventually, it'll be 5/16" at tank pickup and the few feet from mech pump to carb, and 3/8" tank to pump input on the long run when it gets done. Engine is a 375-400 HP 340, so nothing outrageous.

BTW, if you wanted better clamps in rubber hose bits, use fuel injection system clamps.

I just checked the box on our Carter M6902 mechanical pump (the same pump series as the presently available Super Strip M6270), and it says right on the box "Made in USA". (The pump, not the box...) I tink ve stick with US made mechanical for now, by golly.

(Now I don't know about the lower flow M6866 which I hope the OP ditches.)

That's good to know! Any idea when it was purchased? I hope the new ones are still made here too.

We purchased it last Nov or so from Mancini; that might have been the last of the M6902's with the 4-6 psi outputs (unless Mancini or someone can order a special lot), so the alternative right now is to get the M6270 and a regulator after it (such as Straightlinespeed posted in post #41).

We started up the new 340 with a stock pump on it like the OP has, but we just figured it would be better to head of any fuel starvation issues to go to something where the actual flow and pressures were well documented for 400+ HP. The M6902 and M6270 use the same ole casting parts that Carter has been using for a long time, with the 6 or so screws holding on the bottom housing so you can reorient the inlet and outlet if need be.

????Read the link that you added to the actual Carter spec.....25 GPH.

Then look at the pump that the OP pictured in this thread....We had another fellow on here with the same type of pump and the same issue within the last year.

I can't say that no pump in that case could ever flowed 40-50 GPH in to 4-6 psi, but the Carter M6866 spec is crystal clear. And I ain't pickin' on anyone, but why go by an eBay listing when the manufacturer's specs says otherwise? Maybe I am missing sumpthin' here.....

Last edited:
just saw it while browsing the "small block mopar" section of ebay. Never bought one, nor was I suggesting it... just threw it out there

Looooong story short, I got a fuel pressure gauge installed on the line and I'm only reading 3 PSI at idle
That seems a bit low, doesn't it?

I like a steady 6 psi feeding my holley.

Looooong story short, I got a fuel pressure gauge installed on the line and I'm only reading 3 PSI at idle
That seems a bit low, doesn't it?

Yes. Unless you have a plugged filter or sock in the tank or something, it's probably a bad pump. You might want to blow the lines out and check any rubber lines in the system to make sure they're not kinked or collapsing, but chances are a new pump will solve your problem.

-
Back