Running out of fuel

-
thats a long draw on the pump , do the bottom drop outlet bungs , you will have to put a valve there as well . or it will drain the tank all the time you work on it . your tank can be welded on if you defuem it , i run a hose from a running cars exhaust into any tank i'm welding on , co2 don't burn . no boom ! and i've still got all my fingers and all my body parts . some will fill it full of water as well . your call , hope you sort this out , was setting my 64 up for the motor trans transfer . just a 69 383 hp rr motor w/ rpm int afb headers w/typewriter auto 63 nyr .
DSC06664.JPG
DSC06665.JPG
DSC06104.JPG

I may have missed these, does the truck die just sitting
& running? & did you inspected the inside of the tank
for 'floaters' that would block the pickup tube?
Thx.

I haven't just let it sit for a long time idling waiting for it to die. But I pulled over before a mile of driving when I know it's close to running the carb empty and watch it finish running out of gas and die.
Tank looks clean and it happens like clock work. If it was something getting stuck to the pick up tube it wouldn't happen the same time every time

thats a long draw on the pump , do the bottom drop outlet bungs , you will have to put a valve there as well . or it will drain the tank all the time you work on it . your tank can be welded on if you defuem it , i run a hose from a running cars exhaust into any tank i'm welding on , co2 don't burn . no boom ! and i've still got all my fingers and all my body parts . some will fill it full of water as well . your call , hope you sort this out , was setting my 64 up for the motor trans transfer . just a 69 383 hp rr motor w/ rpm int afb headers w/typewriter auto 63 nyr . View attachment 1714934375 View attachment 1714934376 View attachment 1714934377

Sorry I don't agree the truck ran perfect before

what of the regulator . can you load it with pressure and release it , then plug it for pressure to hold like the floats would , could it not stop checking by the fuel and never let it go back to the carb ?

I'm having a hard time following^^. Do they have a test I can do on the regulator?

If you inspect the regulator and it is good, try putting a gas can in the bed and running it on that. A little trouble, but that would at least confirm or eliminate the tank.

If you inspect the regulator and it is good, try putting a gas can in the bed and running it on that. A little trouble, but that would at least confirm or eliminate the tank.

Rusty I'm thinking of going to this tank! ( been wanting it out of the cab anyhow)

I see this has a 2 wire sender, Mine only has one. Would the other just be a frame type ground or different gauge style needed?

image.png

Yes, pretty sure it is a ground.

schmitt said:
I haven't just let it sit for a long time idling waiting for it to die. But I pulled over before a mile of driving when I know it's close to running the carb empty and watch it finish running out of gas and die.
1)Indulge Me :) start & run at idle & see if if the gremlin returns , post back.
Thx!
schmitt said:
Tank looks clean and it happens like clock work. If it was something getting stuck to the pick up tube it wouldn't happen the same time every time
2)Ok , that rules out the 'floaties'. so just to rule out the tank/supply 'sub system'
as the culprit, fab an alternate SAFE 1-2 gallon supply to Your pump (with Good Fire Extinguisher on board) & drive said distance. ??? still fail ???
Thx!
Web diag sucks Sir, & apologies for same--- My punctuation, slow typing, redundant questions, etc, etc.
Thx for putting up with same.
EDIT, Apologies, seems You have chosen Your path Sir, I type slow.

Last edited:
like the needle/seat with the float would do , closed it bypasses the regular , open the needle/set it fills the bowl of the carb , then closed it bypasses again it should be holding pressure on the sets . might not returning to pressure to the carb , it just stays bypasses back to the tank .

Pulling everything again today.
Regulator test
Flowing through great, plug the out put and it starts going out the return. Un plug the out put and air comes back out.

This may be something to investigate; not an expert here and this particular problem is new to me but this sounds like it may be a good reason to see all that air: the regulator foaming the fuel as it operates. it might explain why it gets better when you turn off the pump and re-start it: maybe the foam can dissipate.

UNDER THE SCOOP

I'd try re-plumbing the regulator without any return line and see what happens.

Is your regulator in a hot area? And which model regulator do you have? Is the return into the tank just a straight drop into the tank or does it have a tube down to near the bottom?

This may be something to investigate; not an expert here and this particular problem is new to me but this sounds like it may be a good reason to see all that air: the regulator foaming the fuel as it operates. it might explain why it gets better when you turn off the pump and re-start it: maybe the foam can dissipate.

UNDER THE SCOOP

I'd try re-plumbing the regulator without any return line and see what happens.

Is your regulator in a hot area? And which model regulator do you have? Is the return into the tank just a straight drop into the tank or does it have a tube down to near the bottom?

It's a Holley reg.

Return dumps into the top of the tank.

Just took everything apart again this Am blew it all out cleaned everything, re grounded my pump. Same ****. Has to be something with the tank being that's when it all started with removing the sender.

Is that a return style regulator? I cannot tell. Do you remember the part number?

That looks like a serial number.... the PN is above where the gauge attaches.

Are your hoses going down anywhere near to the exhaust? If the return opens and relieves pressure in the main line into the regulator, then with heat and the low pressure, the gas is likely going to boil in the main line into the regulator.

Maybe the outside tamps got a bit warmer about the time you made the sender change and that made the difference....

What kind of fuel are you running?

Last edited:
That looks like a serial number.... the PN is above where the gauge attaches.

Are your hoses going down anywhere near to the exhaust? If the return opens and relieves pressure in the main line into the regulator, then with heat and the low pressure, the gas is likely going to boil in the main line into the regulator.

Maybe the outside tamps got a bit warmer about the time you made the sender change and that made the difference....

What kind of fuel are you running?

That's the only number on it.

Lines are not close to anything hot besides close the the cylinder head right by the regulator there.

Run premium pump gas.

OK, but that is not a valid Holley PN. It may be under the gauge. OK on the fuel..... As for the close part, just trying to figure out how you are getting air in there.

Update for you guys that were giving me advice. I got my new fuel cell mounted in the box this past week and she ran like a top this weekend!! My problem was within the stock tank and sender somehow. I'm glad to have it out of the cab and even more happy the truck runs now.

Thanks all

Very good! I like the old behind-the-seat locations just 'cuz it is old fashioned, but your new setup is surely a ton safer.

-
Back