Running out of fuel

-
I wrote flexible connection,but I meant;connection of some kind.As in; able to be decoupled, loosened.

Yes connects with a nut. I wonder if I just lost prime.
Doubt I have a hole bring it was working great but u never know.

I can pull the sender back out and check that tube connection again I guess being that's when it all started. Like you said maybe it is grabbing air there.

I can pull the sender back out and check that tube connection again I guess being that's when it all started. Like you said maybe it is grabbing air there.

That would be a simple fix.

maybe i missed something , but it all started when you fitted the leaky sender in the tank , right . so hows your filler neck cap , is it a venting type ? could your sender leak kept the air flow so the tank never came under vacuum , i know you have a fuel return , but it might not be enough . have early d series p/u's and i had an issue with a cap not venting .

maybe i missed something , but it all started when you fitted the leaky sender in the tank , right . so hows your filler neck cap , is it a venting type ? could your sender leak kept the air flow so the tank never came under vacuum , i know you have a fuel return , but it might not be enough . have early d series p/u's and i had an issue with a cap not venting .

^^Yes that is correct. Other then the new gasket to fix the leak I had to take the pick up tube off to get the new gasket on. No other changes

image.jpeg

have you removed the sender and run a vacuum test though your fittings , could have a poor seal between connections , could something have got into the fuel in the tank to block the exit line , a piece of paper stop my 37 d100 hotrod , by plugging the exit tube opening . then float away , start n run for awhile , then stop again . pulled a few hairs over that . mostly bald now , lol .

I will pull the darn sender again tomorrow night and check it all over.

Dang thing is kicking my butt!!

Pulled the sender, all looked good. Went out truck did the same thing died after a mile. Pulled the fuel cap no difference.

Checked all line fittings and filter. Unhooked fuel line from inlet to regulator and was pumping fuel great and has the normal steady pump sound. (Does not have the normal sound when hooked to carb)

Could my regulator be bad? Will hold a nice steady pressure when the pump is turned on and after a bit it turns sporadic.

Took regulator off opened it up all looks good and clean. Pulled carb feeds good there too.

Doubt it's a fuel pump if it sounds good and flows good when cycling into a gas jug?

Any advice would be appreciated!! Been looking forward to going to a car event this coming weekend all winter long and now this.

If the pump does not sound good under pressure, I think the pump is at fault.

If the pump does not sound good under pressure, I think the pump is at fault.

Thanks Rusty! I was going to get a pump tomorrow being I don't know what else to try. Went through everything today.

Just odd the pump runs perfect when just flowing into a gas can. But it could be a problem under pressure.

Thanks Rusty! I was going to get a pump tomorrow being I don't know what else to try. Went through everything today.

Just odd the pump runs perfect when just flowing into a gas can.

....and even more odd that it happened after youtook the sender out....but stranger things have happened. Maybe you knocked some sediment up and the pump sucked it up and became damaged. Just a thought.

....and even more odd that it happened after youtook the sender out....but stranger things have happened. Maybe you knocked some sediment up and the pump sucked it up and became damaged. Just a thought.

Yes this is what blows my mind, What are the odds!!?

Well no car show for me today.

Put the pump on last night seemed to have nice steady pressure at the regulator. Same thing dies mile down the road.
I did pull over to watch it die one time and I have no pressure at the regulator then.

Have you tried reverse blowing the lines out with air? Are you sure it doesn't have trash in the system?

Blew the return out. Gas was flowing great when running into a bucket

What kind of inspection have you done with the carburetor? This is stupid. All from just removing the sender and putting it back. I swear......you have luck like I do.

hey did you try driving it without the gas cap on the fuel tank neck to see if it was a vacuum in the tank issue preventing the draw out of the tank ? and not sure , is your pressure gauge read the input to the reg or out put of the reg , you say no pressure showing on the gauge and have you checked that regulator . and after it dies , how do you get it home , tow or wait beat n kick it and drive .

Fuel cap doesn't help.

When it dies I turn the key off and turn the key back on so the pump runs. Fills the carb right back up and away I go.

What kind of inspection have you done with the carburetor? This is stupid. All from just removing the sender and putting it back. I swear......you have luck like I do.

Really nothing besides the feed lines and seeing the carb being completely out of gas. Really frustrating my goal all winter was this local show then this curve ball.

Ready to tear the tank out and put a fuel cell in the box this week.

would take up bed space , but an easier siphon to your pump , or are you submerging a pump in the tank . that keep cool operation for the life of the pump . and a new fuel gauge . where is your fuel pump mounted now ? or put a fuel outlet bung for the fuel out near the bottom of your seat tank ? i've done two on pickup tall tanks one on corners , teed to each other to the filter than the out side type pump , i used 1/2 hard lines and an fittings . gravity is your friend with a bottom drop , pumps always wet . that drop can be done easy on that tank right out the floor on the passanger side behind the seat were i think you have your pump now . and filter there as well .

Yeah man my pump is well below the tank down on the frame rail bellow the passenger seat.

I may have missed these, does the truck die just sitting
& running? & did you inspected the inside of the tank
for 'floaters' that would block the pickup tube?
Thx.

-
Back