Runs bad when hot.

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
I installed a rebuilt carter 2bbl on my 65 Cuda 273 V8. it runs fine when I take it for a short drive. When I turn it off it starts up but when I put it in gear it wants to stall unless I really rev the engine and keep it going. Is this a vapor lock issue? only happens when the care is warmed up or hot and under a load.

Thanks for any advise.

Of course you need to know the bowl vent is open when the engine is turned off.
Due to the lower boiling point of todays fuel..
First thing to do is put a thick base gasket under the carb. Please note, When you do you will need to rework the bends in the choke linkage accordingly. You may need to alter the throttle linkage or angle of the return spring just slightly.
Second is rework the fuel line from pump to carb. Late model fashion has the filter ( metal case filter only ) positioned vertically down in front of the water pump.

Thanks for the advise. I'll try the thicker base gasket first.

Have the parts guy look it up under 75 model 318 to get the thickest one.
That's only a partial cure though. If you have a clear plastic filter mounted horizontal above the intake you could probably watch the fuel come and go in cycles while idling hot.

Best to give them the dimensions on the bolt pattern for the carb.
Or take the thin gasket in, match it up, Napa had a thick gasket in stock, it was a Fel-Pro.
The thick gasket did not show up on the computer, but the old paper books got us the dimensions.

-
Back