Rust Bullet

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Anyonr ever use it, any comments good or bad? If so how much will need to do my entire 67 Barracuda inside and out? What is the best way to spread it? Lastly where is the best place to buy it from.

I have saw it, and acually have a quart of it to do the floors and stuff in my car when I get them finished up. I bought mine from summit. It was like $62 or something like that to my door.

But my brother also bought some for a trailer he was making into a car hauler. He used a paint brush to spread his on. It actually came out pretty nice and smoothed out a lot of the pitted areas on the trailer.

If It were me, and I had the ability, I would probably spray it on just like normal paint. But brushing it on does do very well and you dont see any streak marks.

It seems to be of really good quality and holding up great.

Sorry I cant help you with how much you would need.

I've used it on my 67 fastback barracuda, I liked it. It has been a couple of years since I used it but what I do remember is that if you are going to be spraying it, your going to need a huge tip for your gun. I think I shot it with a 2.2 or something like that my buddy had. I ended up only spraying the areas that would be visible later and switching to brushing it on the rest of the interior and trunk. For the hassle, just brush it all on unless your going to be on an exposed painted surface. It actually flows out pretty even. I can't speak to how durable it is since its still on the same jackstands in the same spot in the shop that it was 2 years ago when I did it. I can tell you that it's hard as hell when fully cured. As far as the amount, on their website you could order 4 quarts in a packaged deal for the same cost as a one gallon bucket. I went that route and did 2 coats on the entire inside of the car, the inside of the doors, the underside of the trunk lid, and the engine bay. I have one unopened quart left right now, I'm sure that I will find a place to use it at some point

I am of the impression it is an atmospheric moisture cured epoxy very similar to POR15

Probably is great when applied over a properly prepared surface. With POR and RustBullet, the preparation data from them is easily available and very important.

I have not used either. I stick to etching two part epoxy.

X2 what Rice Nuker said.
Sometimes these do all paints turn out to be more trouble than they are worth. Stick to 2 part epoxy primers.

barracudadave67

You can buy rust bullet direct from the manufacturer. Try to estimate your needs fairly closely because the product does not keep in an opened can for very long - leftovers usually cure up and are wasted. Plan on at least two or better three coats for exposed areas. Rust Bullet is very similar to POR 15 but without all the extra steps to prepare the surface. Be very careful - You must protect your eyes and skin and clean up all spills immediately. Once it cures you're stuck.

I used it on my car real easy to work with. Just make sure your in a well ventilated area and wear proper gear. You can roll or spray it.

I painted the underneath of my 64 Signet in the 80's with POR 15 even though it wasn't rusted. 25 years later the underneath still looks new.

I am planning on using this also. Everyone I can find who has used it likes it. There is less metal prep than POR15 and its a single stage application (you must apply 2 coats 4 to 72 hours apart). There is a regular formula and an auto formula. The auto formula is thinner so it can be sprayed through a paint gun. This is what the Navy uses on their ships and components.

Thanks for all the responses but know for the real question I have been reading the web site but I suck at math and trying to figure out what I would need to do the entire car. I email the company and all they did was send me back to the website.
I get the saying it will cover so many square feet but when it comes to a car how many square feet is my 67 Barracuda?
Thanks again

A bit less than a pint put one coat in my engine compartment.

A bit less than a pint put one coat in my engine compartment.

I'm sure you were just saying what the coverage was but for others, the manufacturer states that you must use two coats of this stuff because of how it is designed to work. The first coat reacts with the moisture in the air and rust/metal. The first coat will remain porous after it dries due to the escaping moisture. The second coat, not having the underlying moisture will act as a sealer and fill the pores.

Well, yes of course. In fact, the manufacturer specifies a thickness rather than a number of coats. I think that the instructions sort of dance around the fact that for many applications more than two coats will be needed. I wonder if they're light on that information so that people won't be scared away by the cost of doing it.

I used it on my "decoy" after steam cleaning all the factory undercoating off. When I first started applying it went on very easy. After can had been open for a while it started to thicken and was harder to apply with brush. It seems to be holding up well. I followed the instructions as to covering leftovers with cellophane and sealing can but when I went back to use the rest later it was hard as a brick. If you use this buy in smaller containers that you can use up fairly quick. I think I bought 2 gallons but I know a half gallon ruined. By the way I didn't see you at the beach,Joe

Joe,
I was at the beach, I was on the beach side just as you came into the marina. I had my 62 Valiant Wagon (Primer with the skeleton sitting in the drivers seat).
I'm working on my 67 Barracuda which is what I need the Rust bullet for. I just got most of the car sanded down to bare metal. working on the engine bay then I will be applying the RB but I need to figure out how much I need so I can buy it all. I was looking at getting the pint cans that way I can spray a can and then I can brush the rest without worrying about it drying just not sure if I need a gal or two.
Thanks to everyone for the assistance.
Ron

I bought the 4 quart kit for my 67 FB. I did two sprayed coats in the engine bay, 2 brushed coats on the interior including the roof and inside the doors. I did 3 brushed coats in the trunk and trunk extensions. I used 3 quarts and have one unopened quart left

Has anyone tried extending the storage life of paints, etc, with a 'finish preserve'? You can also mix up something similar and then pour the gas vapour into the container to remove the oxygen.

Finish Preserve

53z2101s2.jpg

This product has become known in the woodworking industry as being effective for preserving unused portions of finishing materials. A quick burst of Finish Preserve (argon gas) into the storage container followed by the immediate capping of the container is all that is necessary to effectively prevent possible oxidation of the unused portion of your finish. It replaces the oxygen at the surface with a blanket of gases that seals the liquid from possible oxidation. Providing the container remains sealed, the surface gas blanket will not dissipate.
Useful for oil-based finishing products, including stains, oils, paints, resins, pastes, and other liquids that react with oxygen. One can will seal about 37 gallon-sized containers or 75 quart-sized containers. Note: full can feels empty, but will provide approximately 75 two-second bursts of non-toxic, non-flammable gas.

acc_Off.gif
tech_Off.gif
instr_Off.gif
$12.95

I used rust bullet on my rear end, the k member, control arms, and a few other spots. I just brushed it on and it leveled out really good. They make a black and a silver so you can keep some contrast that I think looks good. I used it over parts that had been sitting a while so they were rusty but not very greasy. They say it actually sticks better to rusty metal then to clean metal so I didn't go crazy prepping. I bought 2 little pints one silver and one black and I only used less then 1/2 the silver. It sticks better then glue to whatever it gets on, I plan on buying more.

-
Back