Rust Removal

-

DartDave73

Reaction score
I know like anyone here that's had to deal with rust, you know what a headache it is. We all have our methods of madness. Well I just came across something that I never did before that seems to work very well. Perhaps someone here already has done this. But to me, this is working very nicely.

I've worked a lot with vinegar. 30%, take your breath away and pickle you internally, vinegar. But it's awesome on rust. A lot of times, I'll work down rust spraying it, letting it sit, and then brushing or wire wheeling it away. Which works. But it takes time having to sit and wait.

But I found, that with light rust, if you spray it down and then slowly wire wheel it while it's wet, it'll come off quick! Bad thing is it makes a bit of a mess and you really have to have a good fresh air supply. But it knocks it down to bare metal and makes the rust just disconnect from the metal. Any rust remaining gets knocked down with sandpaper and then sprayed/wheeled again. Again, a little bit of a mess, plus it aerates the vinegar a lot, so there's a downside. I really hate rust.

What are your methods of rust removal? What works quickly and easily for you? It's always good to learn new things. Especially if it helps others. :D

For me, it really depends on how large the part is, how extensive the rust is, and what the texture of the part that needs rust treatment (i.e., smooth sheet metal vs. rough cast iron.). Either way, I tend to favor an acid treatment of some type or mechanical removal with a wire wheel or similar followed up with an acid wipe down.

Proof.

IMG_1393.png

IMG_1392.png

For me, it really depends on how large the part is, how extensive the rust is, and what the texture of the part that needs rust treatment (i.e., smooth sheet metal vs. rough cast iron.). Either way, I tend to favor an acid treatment of some type or mechanical removal with a wire wheel or similar followed up with an acid wipe down.

What kind of acid? Like muratic?

You all are removing metal along with rust. If you do not neutralize the acid after treating the rust, you will have more problems down the road. It will structurally weaken the parts.

Best ways to remove rust is by electrolysis or chelating.

You all are removing metal along with rust. If you do not neutralize the acid after treating the rust, you will have more problems down the road. It will structurally weaken the parts.

Best ways to remove rust is by electrolysis or chelating.
I have to think weakening the metal is not an issue in this situation but have to agree 100% on neutralization. I would never use muratic acid.

I have to think weakening the metal is not an issue in this situation but have to agree 100% on neutralization. I would never use muratic acid.
It may on that UCA as time goes on without neutralizing it.

Oh yes. Agreed. I was off on another tangent. Im not convinced you can EVER naturalize muratic acid
Well technically I believe you can, but why would you use acid on your prize possession when you can derust with proven methods that do not remove base metal?

-
Back