Rust Remover

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
What is the best store bought rust remover? I have some pitting under the hood of the Ole Duster and I am trying to get rid of it without blasting. So what are your suggestions?

Grind it with some oatmeal cookies and then spray it with Ospho. Ace Hardware sells it. It is green in color.

I like the ospho too. They sell it at Napa, if u have one in your area. I think a good thing to look for is some form of phosphoric acid. It seems to be the main ingredient. Someone correct me if I mam wrong.

Do I brush it on then let it sit and wash it off? How does it work? And will it clean up moderate pitting?

U can brush it on or use a spray bottle. I have left it sitting in the spray bottle too long and it gums up and then wont spray anymore. The idea is to keep the rust wet for as long as possible. The rust will start to turn black as it gets eaten away. I have left small parts soaking in it for a few hours and they come out nice. If u leave small stuff like nuts and bolts in too long it will eat them up. The stuff is acid. Follow the directions on the bottle. When it is dry(usually 24 hours) u can scuff and paint over it. Important to check compatability with paint on a small test piece first. Individual results may vary.

I live in jacksonville Florida where its really humid and bare metal parts get surface rust fast. The ospho puts a zinc phosphate coating making it look a little dark. Even inside the garage where metal does not get wet, If I leave bare metal it will eventually start to rust. Not with a good coat of ospho.

If the metal is heavily rusted it will leave small holes where the rust was dissolved out. If u have an old rusty screwdriver or pair of pliers u can use them as a test piece to see how u like it.

Ok I tried the ruster remover gel stuff :thumbdow: So now I got this stuff Evapo Rust and we will see about it. I can't find Ospho anywhere near me NAPA, hardware stores nobody.

Evapo-Rust worked great on the bolts and tools I put in it but did not work on the car itself which is what I am trying to get the rust off. So the hunt for Ospho continues.

-
Back