rust vs molasses

-

mad dog

Reaction score
Good morning FABO, I almost ready to try submersing some rusty parts in a 10:1 mixture of molasses and water, this will be my first experience doing this. My question is after the parts come out of the molasses bath how do i clean the residue that im assuming will be covering the parts, soap and water? should i worry about flash rusting? Any tips would be appreciated... these parts will be painted... thanks FABO....Rich
i would be interested in any and all tips related to this process, i made a large wood crate that i will line with heavy plastic...

We used vinegar instead of molasses on suspension parts. It worked well. I don't know what quantities of molasses costs. I can tell you we got the vinegar for more or less free. Ok to be honest, it was pickle juice. Kids working at fast food places can hook you up with buckets of the stuff and we tipped them for their efforts. 5 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket filled with pickle juice is cheaper than Dollar General.
I also don't know about odor or insects involved with molasses. We didn't have those issues with the vinegar.
Pressure washer rinse followed with parts cleaner, followed with Rustoleum prevented the flash rust. Lower arms did rust again before I could get the cosmolene substitute here for them.

Wash parts in soap and water. Soap is a base and will neutralize the acid in molasses and vinegar. Immediately dry with a hair dryer or better yet a heat gun. Letting them sit in the sun for a while after that wouldn’t hurt either. Throw them on top of the shingled roof of your house. When totally dry, paint them with a sealing primer or like I do when I plan on selling the parts, coat them in a preservative. Bill hirsch makes a good one, used to be sold POR website.

I prefer electrolysis to using any chemical rust removal methods. Plenty of that on YouTube and some even on this website.

-
Back