Rust

-

JRT

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience fixing this problem. Or pics of their repair. They are rusted completely through.

DSCF0012.jpg

Ok I know I have to make a patch, but does any one make the cans that are under the cowl that let fresh air in or has anyone had experience making them. My next question is were the heck does the rain water drain out?

I'm thinkin that since the rust goes up in to the radius and corner its gonna be a VERY difficult piece to make. Better cutting a piece off of a donor car and welding it in.

Thanks for the reply. I have the corner sections from a donor car its under the corner and inside the car that im trying to figure out. I suppose i can remove the cowl all the way accross up to the wipers. I can then get to the bottom part. I can cut out the rust on the underside that leads into the heater box and patch it, (going to be a pain)i just need to know how the rain water drains out.

So no one on here knows where the rain water drains???

the water drains out behind the fender right where the cowl meets the firewall. if u have a donor piece it will be the open flap that has no welds. i can get a pic of mine 4 u later.

There is supposed to be a small opening between the welds on the side there (like a knife blade might go in) that would let the water out but leaves and debrie would clog it. 67 up had a larger hole behind where your hood hindge is.

Ok, so I removed some of the cowl area so I could get to the underneath that leads into the interrior. I know i need to keep the passenger side can that leads into the heater open, but do I really need to leave the drivers side open. It seems to me that although I will be getting fresh air in, my toes will freeze off in the winter. Can I just make a flat patch to weld in?

i was thinking of covering the hole on the driver side also. its up to u. the vent window in the door would probably be enough to cool u off anyway. there is supposed to be a door on the air can so u can close it off and not freeze your toes. the hinges for the doors are usually rotted away or rusted shut.

I pulled the drivers vent out of my 72. It had 3 studs with nuts so I made a plate, silicon sealed it and bolted it in, no more hot or cold air coming in. This also gives plenty of room to work on the wiring. I'm going to do the same to the pass side and draw air from inside the car for the a/c or heat. If I need fresh air windows down.
Bruce

I put plates over both of the air intakes on my Dart. Used the stock studs and nuts on th drivers side and made up a couple of J-hooks to go thru the steel plates I cut for the right side. That way if I ever decide to cool my heels I can go back to stock.

-
Back