Rusted MSD

-

douglas340

Reaction score
Hi, the last few weeks my engine has been dropping one or two cylinder when I first start it, didn't matter if it was the morning or afternoon. When I drove it for a few miles it cleared it self and on I went, thought it was a plug on its way out. It only gets driven probably 4 times a month.
I finally had time for some maintenance on the weekend, this is what I found when I popped the Dizzy cap.
Is this a common problem with MSD?

20191201_125149.jpg

20191201_125228.jpg

yes this is common for msd it's caused by ozone buildup . there is a way to deal with this problem , bore a small hole in the cap , fit a small brass orfice fitting and run a hose to the bottom of the breather , most msd caps have a vent . I have herd of some people running the hose to a small vacuum port on the carb but this would be imo a leak .

I get them like that I clean them in a sonic cleaner. spray them with WD40 once and a while. Also do as stated above . Vent the cap or buy one vented

the caps are vented but it is not enough , that's why the small vacuum hose from the cap to the breather base . there was a thread on this maybe 2 years ago .

Mine keeps rusting, and I cleaned it up, and painted it with clear, as suggested by MSD. I kept the paint off the tip of the reluctor. I also drilled a 3/8 hole in the cap. Another issue is the plastic pads that the weights ride on, disintegrate over time. It put a black goo over the inside of the cap. I had to order a weight kit to get the plastic pads.

Hi Dave, interesting..........pressure is blowing "stuff" up past the bushings into the dist?
Distributor is at top of block, where moisture can rise. Distributor shafts sometimes have an oil slot to help feed upper bushing. Distributors often have a bottom drain hole/vent. Don't know what MSD has.

Been an issue for years with MSD

Exactly. I don't know why everybody else is acting like they've been living under a rock. MSD has been having this problem for a while. "I THINK" they have it resolved on their new items.

Exactly. I don't know why everybody else is acting like they've been living under a rock. MSD has been having this problem for a while. "I THINK" they have it resolved on their new items.

That's what happens when they put the advance mechanism in the cap like GM. With points it isn't usually an issue. With the CD boxes it becomes an issue.

Mallory and Chryler didn't put the advance mechanism under the plate because they were stupid.

Imagine my surprise when a friend brought his new Unilte over to look at the curve and I popped the cap and MSD, the dumb asses they are, moved the advance mech up on top. I had him send it back and parted with a used real Mallory I had in the hoard.

Jeg's makes a direct replacement cap and rotor for the MSD distributors - and I think they are made better. I put the Jegs cap and rotor on my MSD billet Dist. and have had no corrosion issues.

I first installed an MSD dizzy in my 340 in 2003. Mine got corroded up like that after 8 or 10 years. I had another on the shelf and installed it and was on my way. This winter I checked it and it also corroded up (after another 8 years). Both distributors worked great until they didn't. I called MSD tech support and they acknowledged that this had been a problem and that the new distributors had a coating on the reluctor and bare metal pickup surfaces to resolve this. I sent them both distributors and for a bit less than $130 a pop they did a complete rebuild with all new internals, electronics, bearings and the new coated parts and even a fresh cap and rotor. It'll go back in in a couple weeks - hope this solves it for good.

yes this is common for msd it's caused by ozone buildup . there is a way to deal with this problem , bore a small hole in the cap , fit a small brass orfice fitting and run a hose to the bottom of the breather , most msd caps have a vent . I have herd of some people running the hose to a small vacuum port on the carb but this would be imo a leak .
This can get interesting:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...236119304764&usg=AOvVaw14oQp5KUwSakgB2eQgSdar

-
Back