Rusted out torsion bar mounts

-

Shaggy10x

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart wwith rusted out torsion bar mounts. What is the best fix for this? I have a mount that has been cut out of a car that i can weld in place of the old one or do i buy neww caps from auto rust repair?
Thanks

we used the autorust caps on my Scamp (the pass. side had torn right out) and they worked good (I'm not saying that's the best way, just that we used them and they worked).

we used the autorust caps on my Scamp (the pass. side had torn right out) and they worked good (I'm not saying that's the best way, just that we used them and they worked).

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing on my dart just to reinforce the area mine are fine but it can't hurt to reinforce it with using a stiffer torsion bar.

if you already have the cross member from a donor car i would use that. you already have it so you dont have to spend more money and if its already rusted out that bad who knows if the repair caps will hold on. if it were mine i would drill all the spot welds and change the whole cross member out.

I agree...use the crossmember if you already have it. I make reinforcing plates that weld in place and help to spread the load in this area. Message me if interested.

I make reinforcing plates that weld in place and help to spread the load in this area

Spreading the load or torsional forces over a long weld or area is very important. Safe T Caps accomplishes this task with an engineered three sided patch that correctly locates the torsion bar on a weak cross member. These cross members tend to rot out in one particular spot, and if the weak spot is bridged with a long enough patch the repair will last a long time.

If you do replace your t-bar mount take the oppurtunity to reinforce the replacement on the inside and outside. And when everything has been welded and painted spray the inside of the t-bar mount with a healthy coating of cavity wax. Eastwood sells some in a spray can with a hose, and most bodie shops have the equipment to apply it. Your car might drip a creamy goo for a few weeks but won't rust from the inside.

-
Back