Rusty rotors

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hey guys what can my son use to clean his rotors up.His car has been sitting for the last 6 mounths and has rusty rotors.The rotors are in good shape would an sos pad do the trick.His mopar is a 2001 Intrepid.:cheers:

Hey don, try a pneumatic angle grinder with the 2" diameter pads(ro-loks), but be careful, those things can actually make sparks!! Or the new rage is evaporust!!

Get some 80 grit and a sanding block.Jack the car up so both tires can turn.Remove the tires,start the car and put it in gear. The brake rotors will be turning now so all he needs to do is sand them with the block. Tell him to keep his fingers out of the bite.

This will remove the rust and it will actually somewhat remove any glazing.

It,s just surface rust,take a drive around the block and just ride the brakes for abit.It,ll be gone in one cruise around the block.

Ok ,my son did say i will just drive it around the block a few times that should do it.LOl the little prick has learned something about cars.Thanks.

Light surface rust will be gone with a drive around the block.

My '89 Caddy Limo had some heavy scaling nasty rusted rotors when I bought it. I chipped away all the heavy rust with a hammer and then got a 3M rust and paint stripping wheel from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRD~0475775P/3M%252BRust%252B%252526%252BPaint%252BStripper.jsp?locale=en Worked like a charm and 6 years later I'm still using the same rotors with no vibrations from the brakes at all. Yeah... I'm cheap. :toothy10:

Wylde1.

-
Back