rwd 2.4L?

-

Mopar87

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if its not, feel to move it where it belongs.

I have a 78 plymouth arrow that I would like to put a(non-world) 2.4L four cylinder into to use as a cheap rwd gas saver.140-150 hp in a car that weighs 2K lbs should still be fun enough to use without immediately going to jail.I have a manual transmission that came out of a 93 dakota with a 2.5 because it (mostly) bolts up.Im wondering what donor vehicles should I look for in a junkyard that would be easiest to modify for a rwd application?

Neon engine, I guess? Planning on carrying the electronics and wiring over and running with the fuel injection? I'm thinking your best bet is an A body 7-1/4 with 3.23 gears and, make some frame rails, and take a leaf out of the 5 leaf 6 cylinder springs. Sometimes, you can find them for free here. Probably find something out of a Datsun/Mazda/Toyota that may work, too. Take some measurements and good luck!

The Plymouth Arrow is a captive import ma mopar brought in.Its a rwd 2 door coupe sold overseas as the Mitsubishi lancer celeste.It was powered by a either a 1.6L,2.0, or a 2.6L 4 cylinder engine.a 4 speed manual was standard but 5 speed manuals were optional as well as 3 speed automatics.Rear suspension was a solid axle suspended by leaf springs.
Mitsubishi Lancer (A70) - Wikipedia
Mitsubishi_Lancer_(A70)

I know that the fwd 2.4L is mounted transversely,I am just wondering if there is a specific version that would be easiest to adapt to a rwd orientation?IE the intake does not point into the firewall...

Based on my own experience, I would be looking for a 1998-2000 Nissan Frontier two wheel drive 2.4 liter five speed donor truck with the five speed. Use the catalytic converter and the electronics and fuel pump. There may be better or simpler or less expensive options to go with, but one of those engines with a homemade cold air intake and a pace setter header runs really well and gets decent mileage in one of those 3000 plus pound pickups with an automatic. But, I’m not telling you what to do, I’m just stating what I would look at using in that build. Does yours have the four or five speed or automatic in it?

The 2.4L can use a Dakota bellhousing and an MA5 transmission and be mounted inline for a RWD set up. It’s a really long thread, and the 2.4 didn’t come in until part way through, but a member here did that with an early A.

Pro Touring 10K

963C98FA-0FBC-4C82-BF60-A5A190045E63.jpeg

Last edited:
Just because the Dakota trans bolts up, doesn't mean it's a good choice. IIRC the ratios are 3.83-2.33-1.44-1.00-.79od.... With splits of .61-.62-.69-.79. That's a truck trans for a torque monster V6,lol,I mean compared to a 4-pot. It has a low gear, suitable for motivating 4500 pounds off the line.
You'll be grabbing second about 30ft off the line and that 2.33 second will likely bog your 4 banger right into next Sunday. And don't even bother trying to grab third before 50 mph. One good thing is with 3.23s out back, 65=2320rpm with 24" tires. Now that is one gear that the 4 can pull. To run that trans, your 4 will need a very wide powerband, so as to not fall flat on the first two shifts. Those ratios are just about too far apart, for a non-VVT 4cylinder..
At 30mph with 3.23s out back, and 24" tires, your rpm will be 5200 in first,3200 in second, 1960 in third; meaning when you floor it at 30, you will be married to second. You know of many non-VVT4s that got pull at 3200?
FYI; Chevy makes a very nice all aluminum and plastic, direct injected, DOHC 2.4 VVT, with a 6 speed automatic transaxle.Mine shows 220psi cranking cylinder pressure, and it pulls real nice in a 3600pound Orlando. And the whole thing is mounted on an aluminum cradle... which you can unbolt with just 4 bolts I think.
Oh I forgot, that's a Canadian only vehicle,bolts
But wait!
The countdown to Armageddon could start tomorrow, giving you just 42 months to finish this;but you'll be dodging 100pound hailstones in semi-darkness while the Earth is shaking pretty much all the time, and you will be battling your neighbors for food, water, shelter, and firewood.. If perchance you do get it done, there will not be any roads to drive it on nor gas to run it on, nor electricity for that matter.
Just ship that Arrow to me, and I'll take care of it....... lol

Lol! I like the way you think AJ, a lot of truth there. If I had an arrow I’d be looking less at mileage build and more like a mix of a magnum 3.9 and a close ratio a230 with 2.45 or 2.76 gears out back for a highway cruiser. 2600 pounds with driver and ample torque for basic transportation.

Last edited:
They put the 2.4 in Jeep liberty’s also. Don’t remember what years exactly but it was the old body style. Have done a few timing belts on them

I was thinking 367HO/A833/GVod. But after the firewall is set back,I think there might not be room left for a driveshaft, nor room for a rear-seat either. Not sure where the rear springs will fit with monster tires back there, and no room to fit exhaust either.Then it occurred to me that the front end might not support that 367, so now I need a custom chassis. Suddenly I'm looking at the calendar, and at 66, I think I might not have time to finish it either.
So on second thought, maybe I can't take care of it,lol.
BTW that Orlando Ecotec LAF is rated 174hp@6700,171 ftlbs @4900 and the trans ratios are perfect, with excellent shift programming. I've had it for 13 months and only been into the VVT a few of times. It hits at 4500, and POW! With the 6-speed trans, it's like riding a 2-stroke dirt bike; zing,zing,zing oh-oh speeding. Great for passing. Best all-round GM powertrain combo I've ever test-driven.

-
Back