S/6 to 440 engine wiring harness??

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
I have read in Mopar mag that with a Shumacher kit the S/6 could be pulled and changed to the 440 without changing the engine wiring harness. Is that true? I have also read here in this site that the harness has to be changed with a Year One set up. We are getting confused a little. That might be true for the standard ignition?

Jeff

Only thing I would think wuld be different is electronic ignition box and the m/p distributor splices in

I need to tell you this also I guess. The car is a 67 Dart GT and the engine will be a 70 440 out of a Chrysler 300. So thats the conections that we will be dealing with. Just plain old point distributors for now.

jeff

The /6 wires are long and you'll have little issue doing the swap. The length of wire to the distibutor can be lengthed easy, as well as the temp sensor wire.

I believe the big block and /6 harnesses are very close. There shouldn`t be much there that you`d have to alter. One thing you might think of is the throttle cable, there`s a big difference in length.

Yes we saw that the other day that the length of the carb cable was wayyyyyy too long. We will get one from a 318 set up that is in a junk yard close to here. I also read here that some use a 318 radiator with a 440 and some get the $300 custom one, will the 318 be OK for a while till we get farther into it?

Jeff

Yes we saw that the other day that the length of the carb cable was wayyyyyy too long. We will get one from a 318 set up that is in a junk yard close to here. I also read here that some use a 318 radiator with a 440 and some get the $300 custom one, will the 318 be OK for a while till we get farther into it?

Jeff

Yeah , if you can get one from a donor car with A/C, that would be sufficient. Have it cleaned well or rodded if needed. A shroud would be a plus too.

I know a few fellas right now that run a /6 rad behind 500 inch strokers without issue on decently long drives. A well done, clean, hi- flowing system should not be under estimated for this task.

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, but as we do have a 6 radiator just setting there might as well use it for a while and then get the 318......

Thanks
Jeff

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, but as we do have a 6 radiator just setting there might as well use it for a while and then get the 318......

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, while it might be done on some cars (as Rumble said) I would not suggest using a/6 radiator for a 440 street car. Now a car that moves 1320 feet at a time maybe, but not a street car, even if you live in Alaska. Get a radiator that will provide adequate cooling. Keeping an engine at optimum operating temperature is key to longevity.

The wiring is the same regulardules of engine change the throttle cable and let it rip I upgraded my /6 raditor to twin core bo problems

Small block has the dist and coil at the rear...big block has them in front of the manifold. A 6 has them closer to the front than a small block.

If you know how to solder all you need to do is lengthen about 4 wires.

If you go to places like Year One you will find that they advertise the same harness for \6 and big block applications.

-
Back