?s For 65 Formula S guys & Everybody Else Too!

Mopar General Discussions

1. '64 Cuda

'64 Cuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:37 PM
    I'm trying to make a decision about where to mount a tach in my '64 Barracuda or what I should do with what I've already done. On the '64 models with a manual trans there's a bezel about 7" square to the left of the instrument panel that covers the hole in the dash where the push button shifter would mount & houses the headlight & wiper switches along one side. It has a nice big area that would let me mount a large tach in the dash about where the factory tach mounts on '65 Formula S models. How hard is it to see the factory tach on a '65 Formula S? Is it too much trouble? I'm looking for some feedback from people that have lived with one there.

Another problem I have is that 35 years ago I cut the original bezel I had for that area to mount two 2" gauges, one above the other. I put in an oil pressure gauge & a tach. They actually look pretty good there. And about 30 years ago I drilled a hole in the top of the dash & mounted a bracket for a Sun Super Tach II directly in the line of sight of the driver. I still have that tach, new in the box. I've managed to locate a replacement bezel, so it looks like I have 3 options.

(1) I could mount the replacement bezel & return the dash to it's original look. Use the tach on top of the dash. Find room somewhere under the dash for an oil pressure gauge.

(2) I could mount two 2" gauges in the bezel I have already modified & keep the tach on top of the dash. The 2" tach is too small to be useable. Since I won't use it, what gauge would you guys suggest I add along with an oil pressure gauge?

(3) I could cut the replacement bezel I have & mount a 3 1/8" or so tach in the dash. This would mean I'd have to patch the hole I drilled in the top of the dash.

I'm open to suggestions here. I plan to run the Mopar electronic ignition in my car so my Super Tach II should work with it if I decide to use it. I might want to add under dash AC to the car someday so a gauge panel under the dash would be a bit difficult to find room for. Anybody???

2. '64 Cuda

Local Time:
    Anybody? :sad2:

3. cudamark

cudamark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:37 PM
    #2 would be what I would do. I'd add either a volt meter or oil temp gauge unless it's going to be a turbo car, then I'd add a boost gauge.

4. 65TerrorCuda

65TerrorCuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:37 PM
    I don't know if you have the floor console, so it might interfere with it, but I put a 5" monster tach on the trans tunnel beneath where the AC knee banger would be. It's very easy to see, especially with the shift light.

I second cudamark's vacuum/boost gauge suggestion. I had a rocker going out and the vacuum gauge started pulsing. Ran and idled fine, but if I hadn't pulled the valve cover it could have lost a lifter and oil pressure. I think it saved the engine :cheers:

5. '64 Cuda

Local Time:
    I was thinking about #2 with an oil pressure gauge & a vacuum gauge but thought the vacuum gauge wouldn't be worth the trouble. I was thinking more along the line of how you use it to improve mileage. I'd kinda' forgotten about using one as a continuous diagnostic tool. May not be a bad idea. (I'm running a 6 BBL, no boost.) Another idea I had was to mount a fuel pressure gauge there. I think I've seen some remote read types now that are safe to mount inside?

6. 65 Dartman

65 Dartman FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:37 PM
    What he said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.