S/S spring questions

-

lawndart360

Reaction score
Previous owner was nice enough to leave a brand new set of s/s springs in the trunk when I picked the car. I believe the numbers are P40120863, 64.

Sitting side by side there is a noticable difference in arch, reading previous posts, i'm aware that there are differences, just not sure which gets placed on what side of the car.

Secondly, as far as ride hide, higher than stock is ok, but not jacked way up looking. I'm looking for members preferences on whether or not to flip the front hanger.

Thanks
Dustin

I believe the first or lowest # goes on the right / passenger side.

This could give you an idea...

Here's my car before installing the Mancini version of the SS springs:

newspringsbefore2.jpg

And here it is after:

newspringsafter2.jpg

Another view...

Before:

newspringsbefore4.jpg

After:

newspringsafter1.jpg

On the track... Before:

Atco_Oct_2003.jpg

After:

DSC_0041.jpg

Be advised, you will notice a substantial lift in the rear end. Also in ride quality. My duster rides like a 1 ton truck. If you dont want it to look jacked up & clearance is not an issue, i say flip the front hangers. Im in a similar situation with my duster.

Just depends on how you want it to look. This is my car after using s/s springs. I used the 3000lb springs. You have the 2800lb ones. 863 right side 864 left side.

Thanks for the help guys.

Burntorange, since you didn't mention it, i'm guessing you did not flip the front hangers?

Are stock shocks compatible, seems I recall something about the need to use a truck shock. This, one day anyways, is just going to be a driver, with some track usage.

I had the use the longer, super stock shocks. Take a look at the first 2 pics I posted. The white shocks are stock-length shocks, the black ones are the longer shocks.

mikelbeck,

On your before and after pictures to see how the car sits with the difference leaf springs why do you still have a jack stand under the frame?

Not to piss you off or anything but that wouldn't be a fair comparison would it? The car is not sitting on itself in either pictures.

mikelbeck,

On your before and after pictures to see how the car sits with the difference leaf springs why do you still have a jack stand under the frame?

Not to piss you off or anything but that wouldn't be a fair comparison would it? The car is not sitting on itself in either pictures.

Yeah, that's true. I took the pics right after I finished installing the springs, so I guess I left the jackstands there while I got the camera.

Here's a couple more for comparison. No jack stands under the car in these pics. ;-)

Before:

P1010027.jpg

After:

newspringsafter3.jpg

In this one you can see how the passenger side sits higher than the driver's side. This was very bad at first but settled down after a couple of weeks.

1000829_G.jpg

Sorry I forgot to tell you. I did not flip the front hangers over. You will need longer shocks. I am still useing stock langth ones for now but am going to get longer ones soon. It is ok for now as longe as I don't get air born. LOL

mikelbeck,

Oh yeah you can see the difference right away. What about 2" difference?

mikelbeck,

Oh yeah you can see the difference right away. What about 2" difference?

At least that. But the springs that were replaced were the originals from 1973 and were mostly flat. So if your springs are in better shape than mine were the change won't be as much for you.

I have 2800# SS on here. my ride quality is far from harsh. It corners better ans dosen't bottom out with adult passengers in the back seat now.

I have 2800# SS on here. my ride quality is far from harsh. It corners better ans dosen't bottom out with adult passengers in the back seat now.

Mine are originals from direct connection from way back in the day & they are still stiff as they were when they were new. They are for a 3800lb car tho..

I have SS spring installed on my 74 Dodge Dart. They really raised the rear of my car in addition with stiffening the ride. If you want to retain a softer passenger car ride, then you do not want to go with the super stock springs. However, they did help my car quite a bit in the corners and really improved traction.

-
Back