S & W Race cars

-

LETSRACE

Reaction score
Anybody ever install roll cage or back half from them. I am looking to install their stuff in my Duster.
Thanks in advance
Frank

Great people to deal with and great products, but don't think that your going to get the kit, piece it together and weld, there is always some trimming with any cage kit.

I took an S$W cage, a Alston cage- nothing fit. ended up combining both, and 10 trips to local tubing bender. And 30' more tubing.

Did the 10 pint cage, main hoop fit great, had to change the front a-pillar bars and I wanted the bars to go through the dash and not behind it and cause the halo did not fit great. I am happy with it, dealing with S&W was great. If I had to do it again I would have just bought some tubing and had my buddy that installed it just bend it up. If you don't have a bender a S&W kit would be an ok way to go.

Trevor

Did ladder bars and rear coil overs with panhard bar no issues

I did the same. Bought an S&W 8pt cage, Main hoop was bent to hell. I had to heat it up and move the the whole thing over after it was attached to the floor, it lines up perfect now. The trunk bars were ok so I used them. I ended buying some more tube and bending up the rest, turning it into a 14pt thru the dash etc with the help of my buddy. I cut the dash and dash pad myself. Also made some covers for the A Pillar bars as they pass thru the dash so you will not see the floor through the front glass. These will be painted the dash color and mounted with rivets or screws.

View attachment phpMrqhnSPM.jpg

View attachment php1P4hThPM.jpg

View attachment IMG_4616.jpg

View attachment IMG_4617.jpg

I had no issues with my 8-point from S&W,other than some minimal trimming.
So easy a Caveman can do it!LOL:toothy8:

Just in the process of installing a S&W 8 pt. in a 71 Valiant.
The main hoop is not too tight to the body panels. I would prefer it to be wider so it is closer to the panels. The tubes are all flame cut, not notched. You will have to dress or remove material from the inside of all the tube to butt up nice and tight. I used a cheap tube notcher from HF and the fit to the pipes is perfect, ten times better than the flame cut ends. The main hoop had about a 1" twist which we straightened out. When I did my car long ago, I ordered the main hoop to my specs and just got a bunch of straight tubes and cut to length. You will have to trim the tubes in the kit to fit your application, no big deal, just time consuming.
If you are looking for a perfect fitting kit, you are not going to get one, IMO.

I installed their 65-66 Dart 8 point kit in my 64 Dart and it was easy.Fishmouths were dead on .Only real fab work was cutting the bottoms of the tubes to meet the floor and bending the floor plates to match the floor contour.My freind and i installed the entire kit in my car (including all the welding ) in 7 hours and a case of beer .I would buy another kit from them ...

Thanks for the replies. I am not too concerned about tight fit to the body. This one is drag race only. No dash or back seat to worry about. I have talked to both Randy and Lee at S & W a few times and they have been very helpful.

i was going to buy a one but then decided against it. so i bought cromoly from the local distributer.... nothing will fit better than a custom cage but to how you want it..

I did a full back half on my barracuda and Dan page did a great Job!

Attachments

• Cole pictures 789.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 625
  • Cole pictures 790.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 624
  • Cole pictures 791.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 603
  • Cole's Camera Aug 2012 732.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 643
As requested ,here are sum pics of my S and W 8 point 65-66 kit installed in my 64 Dart .This kit was installed and completely welded in 7 hours.I made the seat back support from a junk leaf spring plate cut in half and a piece of tubing.Seems to work alright .Sorry i didnt take pics during the install ,as i was in a race to get done .I was using a friend of mines shop ...

Attachments

• 100_2695.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 609
  • 100_2697.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 596
I didn't do a cage, but I did have them do my back brace on the 8 3/4. They were top notch in everything they did and how treated me. Even finished a week earlier that they estimated. That's real rare.

I live right down the street from s&w and talk to scott weney on a regular basis. My cage and 4link are both s&w units. The only issue i had with them was the wait. When i first built rhe car it took 3 months for them to get my parts together. Other than that have not had an issue with them.

-
Back