Sad day, but I had to put the car away.

-

Mike 340

Reaction score
Decided that it was time to put the car away as the weather is changing up here in Canada.

Interested in what you people do for your winter storage practices?

Here in NJ USA most people dont put them away. If its dry with No salt or snow on the road I'm taking it out for a ride. The heat works fantastic. What not? Not good for the car to sit for months anyway.

Interested in what you people do for your winter storage practices
Northern Colorado....

I drive it! Every month, at least once or twice for 30 minutes or more.

Here the snow melts dry in a few days,

I try to not drive it on wet snow or rain, but packed snow before the plows drop Mag Cloride is ok

-10 deg F and 4 inches of snow

IMG_9254.jpg

Last edited:
YUCK ! Salt means RUST another word I hate.
Two Things to do is a full tank of gas to keep condensation forming in there for RUST.
I also like to lift the tires off the ground if stored for along period.
Some will also fog the engine with oil (your choice,Engine,ATF, Marvel )dripped down the carb while running till the bellows of blue/grey comes out the tail pipe. But it is a good practice to start and run the car monthly instead.
Just a few ideas.

When you start it let it run 20-30 min to run the humidity out. Otherwise you run the risk of water rusting the exhaust and contaminating the oil.

Stick your head in the freezer and take a deep breath. Welcome to up north winter! lol

Fill tanks, add StaBil.
Park it/them in the back of the shed/shop.
Check coolant (freeze level).
Jack it/them up, put on jackstands.
Disconnect battery (from vehicle), connect battery "tender".
(I have trucks, but if I had a car I'd add, "Install cover").
Start every month and let 'em run for 30 minutes or so.

And that's about it, really.

Last edited:
I've been in Fla in June. 105 with 100% humidity. I was at clearwater beach when the breeze stopped. 1/2 got in the ocean, !/2 got in their car and left.

There's always the option to move.

What? And miss ice fishing, outdoor hockey, snowmobiling and scraping windshields?

I'm up north in cold weather and just getting ready to store mine away and just lift it off the tires throw a cover over it and there she sits in the heated garage all winter with a good non ethanol fuel in the tank.

Decided that it was time to put the car away as the weather is changing up here in Canada.

When I lived in NY, I would check the fluids, make sure the tires were proper pressure, Sta-bil in a full tank of gas, put some dryer sheets in the interior, put Damprid in the trunk and interior put on the car cover and put on the battery tender. It was in a garage as well. Now in SC i drive it all year except January.:)

It is getting colder own here in the states too. I will cruise in mine from time to time until it snows and the city slathers on the salt brine solution. :BangHead: I just pull mine in the garage. I do throw some bounce sheets under the hood, inside,and in the trunk. I usually start them up a couple times during the winter and let them warm up. That has been working well so far

Another good practice is put it up on 4 jack stands and take the weight off the tires. Helps with tires getting flat spots. I do it with the trailers too. Block them up if I know they are sitting more than a month or two. My cars go into enclosed trailers so I over inflate the tires before they go to sleep. Drain the fuel out of the tank and run the carb dry. Fresh oil and filter in the block and disconnect battery negative cable. Works pretty well for me.
Syleng1

I really can't believe it's been 3 years ago already but here is my dart in her winter storage. Lol now that's its driving as long as there is no snow on the roads im gonna keep driving her.

20201224_231213.jpg

Wish I could drive it year round, but the valance starts to drag by mid December..

With a spool and 3.91 gears, she gets parked until the roads have been washed. Not so much for the salt, but the gravel that loves to eat windshields.

I do get tempted to put studs on the ktm though, but I've never been a dirt biker, so I haven't worked uo the courage yet, LOL.

download_20220106_112055~3.jpg

What? And miss ice fishing, outdoor hockey, snowmobiling and scraping windshields?
No offence meant at all. I realize there are different strokes for different folks, but none of those sound like much fun to me. Brrrrrrrrr! I never have much enjoyed being outside for fun in the wintertime. That being said, if the streets are dry, I'll drive mine a bit in the winter IF it is above about 32.

It hardly gets to freezing temps here so no winter storage. I was living in the same place as @Dana67Dart before I moved to GA earlier this year and did the same as him, drove it in the snow as long as there wasn't Mag Chloride (salt) on the roads. Since it's humid here and my '72 D200 gets parked outside I lined the bed with Durabak-18 last weekend and just today I went underneath and sprayed down the rusty spots with rust converter paint then sprayed the whole undercarriage with Fluid Film. I want to spray the undercarriage of my '70 Duster with Fluid Film as well, that's already started getting some surface rust in some spots where the paint's worn away.

No offence meant at all. I realize there are different strokes for different folks, but none of those sound like much fun to me. Brrrrrrrrr! I never have much enjoyed being outside for fun in the wintertime. That being said, if the streets are dry, I'll drive mine a bit in the winter IF it is above about 32.

I lived the first half of my life in Pennsylvania and the second half in Colorado, I'm done with snow and sub-freezing temps. I learned to ski in CO and absolutely love it but that's the only time I'm willing to put up with cold weather. Summer is pretty intense here in Georgia but I can handle hot humid weather much better.

I learned to ski in CO and absolutely love it but that's the only time I'm willing to put up with cold weather.
I know a lot of people who ski. NOT me. I was born with 10 thumbs, 2 left feet, no hand-eye coordination and crappy balance. I am really hood with my hands (mechanical things, woodworking, etc.), but I have absolutely ZERO athletic ability. When I was stationed in Sacramento, CA, I tried skiing. Tahoe was only about 90 miles away. After a while, even with lessons, it was clear that skiing was never going to happen for me. LOL.

I Sit by the window hoping for rain or snow so I can go out and have some sure grip fun!!!! Mine is a daily driver.
It's made of metal, it's going to rust so you may as well enjoy it.
Just cut em out and weld in new quarters every 10-15 years. It's going to need paint by then anyway.

Wish I could drive it year round, but the valance starts to drag by mid December..

With a spool and 3.91 gears, she gets parked until the roads have been washed. Not so much for the salt, but the gravel that loves to eat windshields.

I do get tempted to put studs on the ktm though, but I've never been a dirt biker, so I haven't worked uo the courage yet, LOL.

View attachment 1716151317
Holy hell, a dirtbike in snow is one of the hardest dumbest things I ever tried. 40 horses and none of them make you go forward. Falling down is more like it!

-
Back