Sad day, but I had to put the car away.

-
Fresh coat of wax, vinyl protection on seats, cleaned glass, dryer sheets inside of car, oil and filter change, checked all tire pressures and fluids, filled gas tank and added fuel stabilizer, hooked up battery tender, parked in garage and installed car cover.
Car is insured year round and gets to come out for a run

IMG_3248.jpeg

on nice sunny days when the roads are clean and dry.

Ya know....

Back when I was a technical instructor for McQuay (now Daikin), as I used to tell the guys who came up here for training when they would ***** about the winter: It keeps out the riff-raff!

:lol:

Lots of great ideas for putting the car away. Hat's off to the members who are able to drive year round.

The problem with southern Ontario is that they put lots of salt and brine on in the winter and it just eats the cars.
Thanks for all of the feedback, I will be working on some small stuff over the winter and I can't wait for spring!!!

Mike

Living in Michigan... the salt and brine used on the roads here, takes a heavy toll on cars and trucks. So by early November, my Duster is fast asleep
Until mid to late spring, when rains have washed all the crap off the roads.

I put down a tarp on the cement garage floor...
for a moisture barrier. Then fill the fuel cell up with non ethanol REC gas, mixing in Seafoam for stability. (That is used in the summer too.) Air up tires, unhook the battery, put dryer sheets, and damp rid in the interior and engine bay. Put the car cover on.
Mothballs around the perimeter of the car, to keep any potential mice away.

I park mine in storage, tarp on the cement, then a thick piece of cardboard over it.
Disconnect the battery, add fuel-stabel.
Add a coffee can, with holes cut in the top lid full of charcoal in the interior.
Sprinkle alot of black pepper around the inside perimeter of the building, it keeps mice and bugs away.

Yes in Manitoba is getting to be the time. The Barracuda is now in storage for the winter. Full tank of non ethanol gas, fuel stabilizer, battery disconnected, and scented bounce sheets are in the car to ward off mice. It is also sitting on 6 mil poly vapor barrier as concrete and gravel do allow moisture to pass through. Now to wait patiently for spring,

Decided that it was time to put the car away as the weather is changing up here in Canada.

Interested in what you people do for your winter storage practices?
I live in ontario. have owned my 340 for 36 years. For winter preparation, put it in the garage, don't apply the e brake, put stabilizer in the fuel. leave the battery hooked up. do not put it on jack stands as the car was not designed to take that type of weight load. modern tires do not get flat spots. leave the windows open a crack re to save the rubber window seals. change the oil in the spring. this prep has kept my car very happy without issues for over 3 decades.

Mine stays in a heated garage and dry winter climate, even though it snows, so I do use stabil but don’t worry so much about the tank being full etc…. I prefer to our a whole bunch of fresh gas in spring time and not have to burn through a tankful of stabilized old gas. I do try to run the car ever 6-8 weeks, 6 is the goal. Put it on car Dollie’s so I can get against the wall and store it with a cover.

‘’for the guy contemplating studs on the Ktm - DO IT. I love winter ridin with studs, better traction than summertime And a lot of fun. I recommend factory made trelleborg 454’s or the like. If you want to make your own use a quality name carbide tip stud like ‘best grips’ or ‘grip studs’

The old girls has been put away on stands with a full tank of high test Shell gas and a bit of stabilizer and new oil and filter. Will oil the cylinders and pull the battery and put it on a tender and keep a bit of heat on in the garage over this damn Canadian winter. That should do the trick.

IMG_7915.jpg

I used the stabil once over the winter, and had to take my carb apart to get it running in the spring ,( cant remember what was in there, was years ago) i am gun shy about it now, still have the 1/2 used portion left, sea foam has been good. In the spring I used to pull the plugs and squirt a bit of fogging oil, trans fluid and seafoam mix in the cylinders, and then crank the engine till i had oil pressure, a couple of times, put the plugs back in and start. a friend talked me out of this so i just let them sit now.....i change oil in the spring before i drive them, (warm them up a little). They are covered, concrete floor and keep at 40'F in the ❄️ winter. MN. I am impressed with all the stuff some of you guys do such as "justcuz", wish i had that ambition!!

-
Back