Saddening

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have a neighbor who has battled cancer. She had it treated and it went into remission. Don't talk to her all that often. Shirley emailed Ernie asking her if she would be interested in buying all of her sewing gear. She told Ernie that she has ovarian cancer and breastfeeding cancer. Drove by her place a few days ago and noticed she is selling her old VW Bug. Looks like she may have given up hope.

Maybe she knows something that everyone doesn't.
Giving up hope or trying to maximize her life for now while she can?
Sad any way.........

when we lose hope, there is not much left. very sad.

we hate to think about it no doubt, but dying is a part of living, just like birth is also.

Can only hope for the best for your neighbor

She might not have given up hope but face reality and not wanting to leave it for someone else to take care of

Selling possessions to people that will appreciate them is better than someone coming in and throwing it away or taking to goodwill.

Helped my uncle clean out one of his friends house. He had no children and his niece got what she wanted and my uncle who had been friends with him forever got some stuff. He ask me to help and we got some stuff. But the niece would have just thrown it away. She wanted the cash.

Helped a lady on the street I grew up on clean out her house when she went to nursing home. Her own 2 daughters didn't want anything to do with it. So my wife, the neighbor and I took care of cleaning the house out so it could be sold. The one daughter never came out the other was there a couple times to get a few things. It is sad that her WWII father didn't have anyone that was interested in his military items.

So this lady might just be taking care of business.

I know I want to dispose of my stuff before it is too late so it goes to a good place. Even if I give it away to someone that really wants it and will take care of it is better than someone giving it to goodwill.

May she have a comfortable time that she has left

when we lose hope, there is not much left. very sad.

we hate to think about it no doubt, but dying is a part of living, just like birth is also.
It indeed is. Shirley is a very nice woman. She is one of those gems that speaks what is on her mind......

Ran into Shirley in Costco today. She looks well, and feels the same. She stopped chemo in February. Oncologist told her that what she has, cancer wise, is inoperable. When she discussed stopping the chemo her doc did not push for her to continue it. She told me that she understands that even without cancer her time here is limited. And with that in mind she figured she might as well make the most of what time she has left instead of being miserable from the chemo...

Ran into Shirley in Costco today. She looks well, and feels the same. She stopped chemo in February. Oncologist told her that what she has, cancer wise, is inoperable. When she discussed stopping the chemo her doc did not push for her to continue it. She told me that she understands that even without cancer her time here is limited. And with that in mind she figured she might as well make the most of what time she has left instead of being miserable from the chemo...

I have 2 good friends fighting cancer right now. They have that as their fall back plan. One has multiple myeloma and the other prostate cancer. Where the hell is all this cancer coming from??

I have 2 good friends fighting cancer right now. They have that as their fall back plan. One has multiple myeloma and the other prostate cancer. Where the hell is all this cancer coming from??

Shirley has breast cancer...and this is her second go around with ovarian cancer. Neighbors throat cancer is in remission....for now...Jim, the throat cancer fellow, has lost all 4 of his hunting buddies in the last 3 years....all cancer.....I wish I had an answer. My wife just had her annual Mammogram/oncologist visit...all is well....but I would be lying if I said I am on pins and needles waiting to get the all clear from her docs...

Cancer truly frightens me. Just look at the nightmare it is causing one of the members here wife. Flat out evil disease....

Yes it is an evil disease, watching the effects on my Mom up to the end was heartbreaking. Way too much of it around nowadays...........

We losr Dad to multiple myeloma. The end was horrible and sudden. In hindsight I wished he had stopped chemo and did what your neighbor is doing.

My condolences Doug.

Where the hell is all this cancer coming from??

I can't help but think it's from the food we are eating. At least that's what contributes to it. All the pesticides, herbicides, GMO foods, preservatives, chemicals, artificial flavors, blah blah blah... You name it. Then there's all the exposure to the polluted environment around us, air and water. Plus we are not getting enough "whole foods" in our diet. Lots of "heat and eat" type of boxed and canned food crap. I'm no dietitian, but most of what I've stated seems pretty obvious to me.

We losr Dad to multiple myeloma. The end was horrible and sudden. In hindsight I wished he had stopped chemo and did what your neighbor is doing.

My condolences Doug.
Pardon my ignorance but what part of the body does multiple myeloma go after?

Pardon my ignorance but what part of the body does multiple myeloma go after?
I thought it would be best to get the official definition. Tom has had one stem cell treatment, it worked for about a year.

Multiple myeloma

In multiple myeloma, abnormal plasma cells (myeloma cells) build up in the bone marrow and form tumors in many bones of the body. These tumors may keep the bone marrow from making enough healthy blood cells. Normally, the bone marrow makes stem cells (immature cells) that become three types of mature blood cells:
• Red blood cells that carry oxygen and other substances to all tissues of the body.
•White blood cells that fight infection and disease.
•Platelets that form blood clots to help prevent bleeding.

As the number of myeloma cells increases, fewer red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets are made. The myeloma cells also damage and weaken the bone.

Sometimes multiple myeloma does not cause any signs or symptoms. It may be found when a blood or urine test is done for another condition. Signs and symptoms may be caused by multiple myeloma or other conditions. Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
•Bone pain, especially in the back or ribs.
•Bones that break easily.
•Fever for no known reason or frequent infections.
•Easy bruising or bleeding.
•Trouble breathing.
•Weakness of the arms or legs.
•Feeling very tired.

A tumor can damage the bone and cause hypercalcemia (too much calcium in the blood). This can affect many organs in the body, including the kidneys, nerves, heart, muscles, and digestive tract, and cause serious health problems.

Hypercalcemia may cause the following signs and symptoms:
•Loss of appetite.
•Nausea or vomiting.
•Feeling thirsty.
•Frequent urination.
•Constipation.
•Feeling very tired.
•Muscle weakness.
•Restlessness.
•Confusion or trouble thinking.

Multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms may cause a condition called amyloidosis.

In rare cases, multiple myeloma can cause peripheral nerves (nerves that are not in the brain or spinal cord) and organs to fail. This may be caused by a condition called amyloidosis. Antibody proteins build up and stick together in peripheral nerves and organs, such as the kidney and heart. This can cause the nerves and organs to become stiff and unable to work the way they should.

Amyloidosis may cause the following signs and symptoms:
•Feeling very tired.
•Purple spots on the skin.
•Enlarged tongue.
•Diarrhea.
•Swelling caused by fluid in your body's tissues.
•Tingling or numbness in your legs and feet.

I can't help but think it's from the food we are eating. At least that's what contributes to it. All the pesticides, herbicides, GMO foods, preservatives, chemicals, artificial flavors, blah blah blah... You name it. Then there's all the exposure to the polluted environment around us, air and water. Plus we are not getting enough "whole foods" in our diet. Lots of "heat and eat" type of boxed and canned food crap. I'm no dietitian, but most of what I've stated seems pretty obvious to me.
One has to wonder if you are right. The thing that humors me is a study will be released saying the *** is harmful to you....few months/years later there will be a study released saying that *** is beneficial to your health.
I think....that's a dangerous concept....that with all the toxins and pollutants that we breathe/drink on a daily basis that worrying about a the things you mentioned is sort of a moot point....within reason.
I have the gmo, organic, processed food etc discussion with my head doc quite a bit. He tries to tell me how much healthier I would be if I did not eat some of the things I do...I don't have an argument for that. What I do have an argument for is the $$ of organic/gmo free food. He does not understand that once one is on a fixed income spending $5 for a dozen of "free range organic eggs from chickens that were not fed gmo feed" just aint gonna happen....especially when a couple will have 5 eggs between them for breakfast daily.
His speech yesterday was about the locally grown wheat....and the chemicals that are used as fertilizers. He went on and on....he told me that he only eats on specific kind of bread. After my appointment with him Ernie and I went shopping....and I found this bread he was talking about...emailed him a picture of the ingredients...needless to say wheat was one of them...

I thought it would be best to get the official definition. Tom has had one stem cell treatment, it worked for about a year.

Multiple myeloma

In multiple myeloma, abnormal plasma cells (myeloma cells) build up in the bone marrow and form tumors in many bones of the body. These tumors may keep the bone marrow from making enough healthy blood cells. Normally, the bone marrow makes stem cells (immature cells) that become three types of mature blood cells:
• Red blood cells that carry oxygen and other substances to all tissues of the body.
•White blood cells that fight infection and disease.
•Platelets that form blood clots to help prevent bleeding.

As the number of myeloma cells increases, fewer red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets are made. The myeloma cells also damage and weaken the bone.

Sometimes multiple myeloma does not cause any signs or symptoms. It may be found when a blood or urine test is done for another condition. Signs and symptoms may be caused by multiple myeloma or other conditions. Check with your doctor if you have any of the following:
•Bone pain, especially in the back or ribs.
•Bones that break easily.
•Fever for no known reason or frequent infections.
•Easy bruising or bleeding.
•Trouble breathing.
•Weakness of the arms or legs.
•Feeling very tired.

A tumor can damage the bone and cause hypercalcemia (too much calcium in the blood). This can affect many organs in the body, including the kidneys, nerves, heart, muscles, and digestive tract, and cause serious health problems.

Hypercalcemia may cause the following signs and symptoms:
•Loss of appetite.
•Nausea or vomiting.
•Feeling thirsty.
•Frequent urination.
•Constipation.
•Feeling very tired.
•Muscle weakness.
•Restlessness.
•Confusion or trouble thinking.

Multiple myeloma and other plasma cell neoplasms may cause a condition called amyloidosis.

In rare cases, multiple myeloma can cause peripheral nerves (nerves that are not in the brain or spinal cord) and organs to fail. This may be caused by a condition called amyloidosis. Antibody proteins build up and stick together in peripheral nerves and organs, such as the kidney and heart. This can cause the nerves and organs to become stiff and unable to work the way they should.

Amyloidosis may cause the following signs and symptoms:
•Feeling very tired.
•Purple spots on the skin.
•Enlarged tongue.
•Diarrhea.
•Swelling caused by fluid in your body's tissues.
•Tingling or numbness in your legs and feet.

Thank you for the official definition. Not that any particular kind of cancer is not absolutely horrible....but THIS sounds like an absolutely miserable "cancer" to have.

Steve...my condolences on your Pops horrible end of his time on the planet. I realize it was a while ago, but I think when your Dad passed was right around the time I put my foot in my mouth.....again....Sorry about your Dads passing.

When my folks passed I had not been in communication with them for several years. Long boo hoo story that nobody wants to hear. In a strange way me walking away from my family, while it was ABSOLUTELY necessary at the time made there passing very easy for me to deal with....

I have a bone marrow mutation, disease, that i am living with, that can't be cured, but can be controlled with a medication, if the mutation stays the same.
A rare mutation that causes my white blood cells to produce abnormally, off the charts, through the roof.
If it stays the same, i get to live a normal, rest of my life, whatever that may be, with the medication.
But if it mutates further, it's gonna be causing big problems, that i will just let it happen, like the lady in the posting, that the op is writing about.
I'm one of the population that medical sceince has diagnosed me with a problem, that may or may not happen.
In the long run, can't do anything about it, so just carry on with what's left of life, on top of this planet earth.

I have a bone marrow mutation, disease, that i am living with, that can't be cured, but can be controlled with a medication, if the mutation stays the same.
A rare mutation that causes my white blood cells to produce abnormally, off the charts, through the roof.
If it stays the same, i get to live a normal, rest of my life, whatever that may be, with the medication.
But if it mutates further, it's gonna be causing big problems, that i will just let it happen, like the lady in the posting, that the op is writing about.
I'm one of the population that medical sceince has diagnosed me with a problem, that may or may not happen.
In the long run, can't do anything about it, so just carry on with what's left of life, on top of this planet earth.

Same here, JAK 2 Jean/Mutation .. :glasses7:

-
Back